Halstead Boiler Problem

having read this a second time i suspect that it is a wiring problem.

first thing i would check is the wiring to the cylinder stat there should be a live feed from the clock usually no 3 terminal to the common terminal on the cyl stat, then there should be 2 lives back to the wiring center have you by mistake assumed the blue or black wire is a neutral?

Sponsored Links
I totally agree Kevin that it is incorrectly wired!

However the OP is adamant that if worked and then just failed without any changes having been made.

It would not be the first time someone "forgot" that he, or his brother, or the postman did make some changes when he was on holiday or in the middle of the night while he was sleeping!

Tony

However the OP is adamant that if worked and then just failed without any changes having been made.

It would not be the first time someone "forgot" that he, or his brother, or the postman did make some changes when he was on holiday or in the middle of the night while he was sleeping!

Tony
surely he would have posted if he had done so :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Tony

letters be sensible now chaps, :LOL:

Sponsored Links

Tony

letters be sensible now chaps, :LOL:
stamp out humour!!!

Here you go - hopefully these are of help.

Before anyone asks the water marks in the bottom of the cupboard have been there for years - there are no leaks anywhere I can see.

BoilerProblem003.jpg

BoilerProblem004.jpg

BoilerProblem006.jpg

BoilerProblem007.jpg

BoilerProblem008.jpg

BoilerProblem009.jpg

BoilerProblem010.jpg

BoilerProblem011.jpg

BoilerProblem012.jpg

BoilerProblem013.jpg

These any good?

The wiring is rather sloppy, nothing like what it should be according to the "standard" diagrams; that could well contribute to the problem.
You can download the standard wiring diagrams from the Honeywell website, and compare for yourself.
Provided that the separate parts have the right cables, reconnecting it all properly is not that complicated, and quite possibly that is all it needs.

That is a nice clean installation and nice photos thanks.

Hailsham may have time to follow the wiring.

I once went to this modern house with a Suprima downstairs and everything else in the upstairs with no access to the cables between.

It tripped a fuse about once a day. I powered the pump from the supply and for a couple of days that seemed OK but then the boiler fuse tripped . A swapped PCB did not solve the problem either! I suspected a cable fault between the cylinder and boiler. Had I returned I would have run temporary new cables.

In the end I did not get to finish it because the neurotic chinese wife was being too oppressive wanting me to guarantee that I would solve it the next day. So I decided that as I only work for fun there was no fun dealing with a woman like that. The husband was also a doctor and he was very calm and understanding. I pity any woman about to give birth with that wife doctor! Thats rather off as the chinese usually like me!

Tony

So you reckon to trace and check the wiring is the next step?

I should still have the wiring diagrams from the new parts so I'll make a drawing of how it is now and go from there......

Does anything look "wrong" ??

I know I was really careful to only change a wire at a time when I replaced the valve + stat but if the wiring was wrong in the first place I guess maybe that's to blame....

And yeah the wiring does look proper shoddy - is there a better junction box I can get from B&Q to make it a decent job?

Thanks for all your help.

The junction box (technically called: wiring centre) in itself is fine.
The problem is that the connections are haphazard, and it looks like some of the wires have the wrong colour; this combination is asking for trouble.

That wiring looks fine technically! The lengths are a little longer than many would use although doing that makes some things easier so dont worry. Its better that probably 80% of those I see.

As we have said, its difficult to guess whats actually wrong but the cylinder stat is difficult to wire for many people and that will need to be VERY carefully checked.

Hailsham has a lot of time and he may be able to see a wiring error just from the picture.

Tony

I don't know if it's important but when the fuse blows in the fused wall socket it sometimes fuses the cylinder stat contacts together making the hot water permanantly on so I have to turn the temp screw just to make sure it does actually switch off when it reaches the correct temp. A tap on the side of the tank stat usually frees the contacts off.

I think its a wiring problem which is associated with the circuit connected with the cylinder stat.

As several months have now passed can you tell us what you discovered it finally was?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back