Halstead Finest Gold Boiler Saftey Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, I have the Halstead Finest Gold Boiler and I I have problem with it, I hope someone can help.

The boiler has an isolator switch and has been turned off for about 6/7 weeks while i replace the bathroom etc... I havn't needed hot water.

I have turned to water off at the mains while I fitted the new sink etc... Also replaced the radiator, so drained the system, filled it back up again and bled the raidiators.

I tuned on the boiler today only to encounter a problem!

The safety lockout comes on! I don't know why. Any ideas? When I switch it on, it makes lots of noise, fan etc.... After about 5 seconds, the safety lockout light comes on (red) and stays on, as a conciquence the boiler wont fire up. the fan remains on etc... So, the lockout comes on after about 5 seconds everytime i try turning it off for 10 seconds and switching it on. It doesn't flash. just comes on.

There was allot of technical abbriviations in other forums that I didn't quite usderstand so I am hoping for help here.

Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
check the overheat stat hasnt tripped, its a red push button n i think its on the bottom left of the boiler - could be wrong tho

Sponsored Links
i have tried pushing the reset button but mine doesnt have a red button. should the button pop out if it trip? I have dried to push what is a button of some discription but nothing appears to be "pushing" or accepting force if that makes sense.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yeah, the button looks like that, it hasn't popped out though.

I think the pump is running but i will check. I think as i can hear water move when i switch it on, but i will look at removing the screw.

another way of checking is by watching the primary flow switch, (should have a clear case with 2purple wires going to it) wen the pump runs a small pin should rise up and make the microswitch which proves the pump is working

When the power is first turned on The pump and fan will operate
for 10 to 15 seconds whilst the controls check the operation of the
air pressure switch, the water flow switch, and the overheat
thermostat. If any of these are not operating correctly the Safety
Lock-out LED will be illuminated. Does fan sound different (more noisy) then it used to?

Unless the red LED is flashing which means the burner has failed to light, in wich case its an ignition problem.

Hi there.

I did some testing and tinkering last night.

OK, bare with me…

As mentioned, the lockout comes on at the same point every time I switch the boiler on. I can see the pin move that suggests the pump is working. (Thanks for that tip)

However, the pin switch doesn’t move on the other one, the one with pink wires. is this the switch that picks up request for hot water on tap?

So I figured this out, when I switch the boiler on. if I run the hot tap for 2 seconds straight away so the switch makes contact, it will pass all the pre-flight checks, then the boiler is ready to go... That’s great, however, as soon as I put the heating on, or request for hot water from the tap, the safety lockout light comes on, it doesn't flash which suggests ignition failure though? It makes a noise and attempts something, but then it shuts down again.

I can hear the fan, the fan sounds healthy. The pump in my opinion is a bit noisy? 3 times as loud as the fan? Is this normal? I have only recently bought the house so it is difficult for me to recognize a change in the boilers behavior,

Ideas are welcome!

Thanks

If its been standing for a while suspect a small spider web in the fan venturii. To test it link all 3 wires together at the air pressure switch to bypass it as a test only measure.

I know when I moved house I had one of these boilers fitted with exactly the same problem, when I switched it on at the wall the boiler would work for a few seconds then the red light would come on safety lockout, the engineer that looked at it said it was the control module that needed replacing and it was not worth bothering with as the boiler although reliable, is over 10 years old and by that time I suppose like cars and washing machines they become hopeless and expensive to fix. So looks like your best bet would be to look for a new boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back