Halstead Quattro Gold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has a Halstead Quattro Gold and about a year ago it started to lockout on the DHW side after the tap had been on for a while. He would reset the boiler but it kept locking out so he taped over the reset button which has been taped up for few months. The past six weeks has now seen him having to top up the pressure as he says it goes right down to zero every now & again & he has noticed a puddle outside under the the PR pipe. Any ideas as to what is happening & is it safe to tape over the reset button?

Sponsored Links
Too many probabilities to go into really and of course you shouldn't disable a safety device!
You need a boiler fixer.

Its not clear why you are writing about your friends boiler!

You should advise him that he should get it properly fixed by a competent engineer and stop bypassing the protective device and endangering his life, property and invalidating his insurance ( if he bothers to have any ).

Tony

Hi Guys, thanks for advice. Tony, the reason i am asking about friends boiler is because i am not averse to have a go at repairing it for him as long as i know what i am looking for.

Sponsored Links
As you did not realise that it was unsafe to disable the safety o/h stat then I dont think that you would be competent to repair it for him.

Quite apart from endangering your friend's life, if something went wrong he could sue you for vast amounts. I assume that you dont have insurance to work on boilers. Did you consider that?

Tony

Tony, thanks for reply, let me re-phrase, i should have said "what can happen to the boiler if he keeps the re-set button taped over" instead of "is it safe." I know it isnt the right thing to do, but he asked what specifically would happen to the boiler if he did. I know it isnt safe and have told him so, but it would be nice to tell him what specific damage he will do by continuing to leave the re-set taped up.

Likely to destroy his boiler, heat exchanger first.
Depends on how lucky he is, could also lose his boiler, house, wife, that sort of thing.

my 2p worth.

suppose taping over the reset button "fixed it"

what would your friend do / say then?

"I will get some one in later" they will never bother

as my late father used to say"There is nothing so permanent as a temporay job""

and as has been said, you are not competnat and have no insurance, although you want to help, sometimes it is better to stand back and say, no, this is not for me. That way you keep your friend and he keeps his house in one piece

Cheers Guys, point taken, will inform him to get it done.

Hi guys, have just come back from friends house and convinced him to take tape off re-set button. While i was there, i took case off boiler just to see what was going on. When hot water is turned on the DHW exchanger heats up really hot but, the hot water out pipe is only mildly warm. The return pipe on the CH side on top of the DHW exchanger gets scoldingly hot right back as far as the pump. If you turn the water tap down to restrict the pressure called for, the hot water out pipe from the DHW exchanger gets really hot then the boiler cuts out and when the pipe cools down it comes back on. I have watched the switch pin on top of the diverter valve and it reacts really quickly when you turn hot water on or off. He still has problems with CH pressure drops to zero the day after he has had it on. I put my finger under PRV pipe outside and its wet/leaking. I checked expansion vessel valve to see if water or air would come out and air came out. He is going to get someone in but doesnt want to be ripped off as he had the diaphragm changed in the diverter 10 months ago and paid well over the odds. Can you let me know what you think the problem might be so that he is armed with a bit of knowledge. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back