Halstead Quattro Gold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, have come back from friends house and convinced him to take tape off re-set button on his Halstead Quattro Gold. While i was there, i took case off boiler just to see what was going on. When hot water is turned on the DHW exchanger heats up really hot but, the hot water out pipe is only mildly warm. The return pipe on the CH side on top of the DHW exchanger gets scoldingly hot right back as far as the pump. If you turn the water tap down to restrict the pressure called for, the hot water out pipe from the DHW exchanger gets really hot then the boiler cuts out and when the pipe cools down it comes back on. I have watched the switch pin on top of the diverter valve and it reacts really quickly when you turn hot water on or off. He still has problems with CH pressure drops to zero the day after he has had it on. I put my finger under PRV pipe outside and its wet/leaking. I checked expansion vessel valve to see if water or air would come out and air came out. He has someone coming in tomorrow but doesn't want to be ripped off as he had the diaphragm changed in the diverter 10 months ago and paid well over the odds. Can you let me know what you think the problem might be so that he is armed with a bit of knowledge for when the guy comes. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Pump will be causing the lack of HW/cutout.

DOes the CH work?
Is the hot water flow rate OK (albeit too cool)?

If so It's likely the primary side of the secondary=dhw=tap water heat exchanger is clogged. Can be cleaned though getting it out would be fun.

The pressure relief valve will need changing and the pressure vessel checking/pumping up with all pressure off the system.

Not a quick job.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys, the repair guy can't come out till next week now so i will pass info on.

Chris, regarding the CH, yes it does work but as he says, the day after he has had it on, the pressure drops to 0 and he finds a pool of water outside underneath his PRV pipe. Answer to your next question, yes the pressure is ok on HW but yes, it is too cool if you turn up the flow. If you turn the flow right down to get it hot enough, the boiler cuts out.

Why does the CH return pipe at top of DHW heat exchanger get hot when hot water is on?

Rob, you mention the pump could be causing the problem, can you explain, thanks. I am not sure if the pump runs when the hot water is on, I can't remember it running when i was there, i will ask him to check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back