hardstanding drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wasnt sure where to put this, so can the mods please move it if they know a better section.

I want to have a hardstanding on the front of our house. The front is small though, big enough for a car, but not much else. The hardstanding will also have small retaining walls on 3 sides (kurb being fourth side).

I was wondering how to do the drainage. I can make the hardstanding fall in any direction.
How much area around the outside would i need if i drain it that way? One edge or 2 edges? One of the sides will be right up to the boundary so would rather not drain there.
I'd like to keep it simple and just have a trench filled with gravel if possible, but if i dont have room, what are my other options?
One edge will also be very near the house, best to stay clear of this?

I guess i just need to make sure the water collects in one place and has enough of a soak away to deal with the amount of water.
I guess there must be calculations for this? Although i also guess it depends on what the ground is like.

Is there any way to have a central soak away under the hardstanding and a central drain?

Lastly, as drainage is a requirement to keep inside permitted development, i assume it will have to be checked by someone so they know i actualy have drainage?

We havent moved in yet so cant measure to see how big the area will be, but it will be big enough for one small car with maybe a couple of foot on one, maybe both, sides.

I have no idea about this stuff so any advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can the soakaway be located 5m away from any building or highway?

Can you not locate the existing storm drain, i.e. look at connecting to the rain-water pipe drain? There must be a downpipe somewhere near to the hardstanding..... :idea:

Sponsored Links
Connecting into the mains (even if there is no alternative) will need Planning Approval so beware ........

You can do permeable paving. It can clog up after a while though but if it were falling towards the pavement .....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back