has my central heating pump been fitted correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

perhaps wont be easy to explain this without a picture but i'll try.

Basically i've had a new central heating pump fitted.

The pump is fitted on a horizontal pipe run. They have installed the pump with the motor underneith the pump (i.e so the motor shaft is almost vertical).

Now it says in the instruction book that the motor should always sit higher than the pump because 1. the air will collect at the vent screw end, and 2. the bearings will wear out more quickly otherwise.

Now ive phoned the guy back and he says it doesn't make any difference. What should I do?

Normally I would have changed the pump myself, but as I was having a new rad fitted as well I had the company do it. I tried to undo the pump with the intention of rotating it upwards, but didn't have a spanner big enough. Even the water pump spanner I bought wouldn't fit.

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
No - and if the installer says its alright then he obviously knows something the manufacturers dont.

if it doesnt make a difference then the manufacturers would not waste time in printing the words 'dont install this way as air will collect'.

Now ive phoned the guy back and he says it doesn't make any difference. What should I do?

Ring him back and tell him it effing does matter and if he doesn't sort it pronto you will.....

Tell your mum ;)

Sponsored Links
Not only is your plumber wrong but bster was not totally correct but then he is still an apprentice.

The pump shaft should be close to the horizontal.

If the bleed screw is at the top then air can collect and the pump top bearing run dry.

If the bleed screw is at the bottom like yours then any leaking water can get into the electrical connections and fail the pump.

Clearly this plumber is a second rate person who brings our profession into disrepute.

Tell him its not installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and you are not accepting that shoddy workmanship.

If he refuses then cancel the cheque!

If he is already paid then take him to the County Court and claim the cost of calling a proper professional to correct it. ( But tell him what you are going to do first in case he changes his mind. )

Dont put up with careless shoddy work!

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back