Have I been quoted too much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in Yorkshire and am renovating an old property c.1840.

I've asked for a decorating quote for the following:

Strip existing wallpaper and paint, and prepare all walls with lining paper making good any patches of plaster as necessary, sand and prepare all wood work, and then paint walls, ceilings and woodwork in the following rooms:

2 x 5mx5m rooms
4 x 4mx4m rooms
1 x 1.5mx2.5m room
1 x 4mx3m utility room and wc
1 x 4mx4m bathroom
Hall 30-40ft, stairs, and landing 15ft
There are 10 doors in total, plus the front door which they'll prep and paint inside.

All rooms have high ceilings 10ft.

I've been quoted £12k for the job. Would appreciate any thoughts please.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I forgot to say that the price quoted also includes painting large wooden windows on the inside of all the rooms probably some 12-14 windows, half of them panelled.

Paint supplied for ceilings, although I don't want contract white, but F&B so I'll have to add some on for that. And then I buy the paint for walls separately.

Thanks

No I didn't mention I'm a doctor, as I'm not ha.

I'm struggling to get quotes to be honest as loads of people are really busy. I know someone who's used this guy and he's not just someone out of work who all of a sudden is a professional decorator if you know what I mean, he does a real good job. It's just I've never had a whole house done before so can't really work out if it's a decent price.

Sponsored Links
Well it's a big house but that's a silly price. Never, EVER get someone to quote for the whole house. Get them to do one room and if you aren't happy get someone else in. I'd say 3-4K for a top notch job.
You don't even know the state of the walls yet. You may need the whole lot replastering.

Thanks for your reply. £3-4k seems really low. Based on other work I've had done in the past I would have budgeted £2k for hall stairs and landing alone.

Thanks for your reply. £3-4k seems really low. Based on other work I've had done in the past I would have budgeted £2k for hall stairs and landing alone.

Can I come and work for you £2K for Hall/ stair/ landing,

all my Christmases would have come at once ! :eek:

Seems on the high side, i agree with Joe, get one room done so you can observe his working practices and see what his finish is like. He may be a superb decorator and worth paying top end for, to give you an example i did a 4 bed (huge master bedroom which included both sides of 8 panelled doors), large HSL with 60 spindles, large lounge and a kitchen diner which took the whole back end of the house up for which i charged 4.5k, plus wall paint, everything else was inclusive. No lining though.

For that money i would expect to see no joins in the paper, a smooth rollered finish with no texture (orange peel), woodwork rubbed down and all knocks and dents/holes filled, undercoated, 2nd fill if needed, spot primed and 1 or 2 top coats. I would expect no runs, drips or brush marks and a completely smooth finish, and tools stored properly and working areas cleaned before leaving each day.
Ensure he is insured and has supplied you with terms and conditions, agree the price of any extra work before its done and make sure the quote details exactly the work to be carried out.

how long has he said it should take?
will he be there on time EVERY DAY?

then once he has given you an idea then work out his daily rate.
if for example its going to take a month?then thats around 3k a week.
get my drift here.
if its going to 6mths then that comes down to about 500 quid p/week.
but as said get more quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back