Have I blown my boiler electronics?

Sponsored Links
Yea but you don't know for certain what the other ends are connected to.

Well - it seems I need to do something in the short term, so I've opened the front to take a look. Seems easy enough.

I can see the 240V leads to the thermostat, and the other two are indeed on the 24V header. I guess that's that then, if the Hive did put 240V down it. :(

I can't see any scorching, so the cables seem intact as you'd expect. I could put a bridge across, but it'd be the same as when I shorted them at the thermostat.

I guess I could put a bridge wire across the 240V RT header and switch it to use that - IF thats how it works, and if it's not already fried. I can't seem to see how to connect it in the manual.

Link Live to the 240V RT connector (with the power off of course) then check briefly that the boiler will fire.

If that works ok you just need to remove the link and take a single wire from Heating ON to the RT connector to get the thermostat working.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I could put a bridge across, but it'd be the same as when I shorted them at the thermostat.
It's not the same as the boiler generates its own 24v for these terminals.

They would have been joined together by the Danfoss previously. That was how it worked, it is just switch. Introducing the 230v from inside the Hive was the problem.

I hope it works, but if it does you will have been very lucky.

It did. That'll keep us going until Friday. Thanks for helping me out!

Link Live to the 240V RT connector (with the power off of course) then check briefly that the boiler will fire.

It did. That'll keep us going until Friday. Thanks for helping me out!

If that works ok you just need to remove the link and take a single wire from Heating ON to the RT connector to get the thermostat working.

I'm debating whether to leave it as-is to avoid any more carnage, and have the board replaced, before I go and consider anything else. I'm also wary of anything else that might have been damaged - for example, I'm now suspicious that the radiators are too hot for the temp I set at the boiler.

Well, I learnt a lot. Unfortunately I don't have the time I used to, to learn as much as I evidently need :(

I now predict a trend of homeowners all around the world rising up in their own misguided attempts at attempting to conduct home improvements.

They might badge it "Do It Themselves", and create shops and forums in tribute. ;)

I think that rather than damaging the boiler yourself, you would have been better getting a professional to do it for you!

Come on guys give Dan8322 a break. He knows what he's done. No need to 'keep rubbing salt in his wounds'.

I still don't understand why Bg engineers have been running round installing these for 99 / 149 yet folk are still paying more money to blow stuff up themselves.

I still don't understand why Bg engineers have been running round installing these for 99 / 149 yet folk are still paying more money to blow stuff up themselves.

I'm sure this isn't the case here but, I paid a Nest "Pro" to come and install my two Nest stats but he was here about 5 minutes before deciding he didn't know what to do and claiming my system wasn't compatible. I looked into it myself and managed it self-install without any issues. I now consider myself to have a good/working understanding of central heating electronics which I'd never have got if I hadn't been forced to install my own.

To be fair the OP has put his hands up and hasn't given a load of attitude despite the ribbing he's had.

Let's hope he's just blown a fuse or something and the mistake won't cost him hundreds of pounds to rectify. And no that wasn't sarcastic.

Good luck, when you get it sorted it would be great if you can update the thread (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back