Heating suddenly stopped! - coal boiler working though

Sponsored Links
The boiler went out last night, so I've used the opportunity to strip it out and clean it. I've posted some more detailed pics:

Boilersetup1.jpg

stats1.jpg

I'm going to get some new fire rope to line the doors and then fire it all up later (may take me a while to replace the rope though)[/code]

it doesn't look like a very big boiler.

I was wondering... if you close all the rads except one (so there is less load on the heat) and turn the pump to low speed... do the pipes get warmer?

I see you have 4 pipes coming from the boiler

I am guessing that 2 of then are gravity flow and return to the cylinder, and two are pumped supply to the radiators.

Sponsored Links
Looks like you`re dead right, John.......and maybe those cylinder stats :rolleyes: wired to the primary flow/return may have been used to trigger the pump when the water in them (primaries) got too hot ........or worse, some sort of motorised valve :?: . I hate controls on these wood/coal appliances , they should be left to leak heat by a simple thermo-syphon ;) Maybe a photo of the hot water cylinder and pipework will help :idea:

Just got back from getting supplies - Bought a new Grundfos pump (just because the other one is ancient and I'm eager to take things out of the equation). The bloke in the plumbing center said it may be the room stat not working that was the original issue of the pump not firing up. Any thoughts?

Just re-rope sealing the boiler doors whilst they are off and then going to ft the pump. Planning to wire it direct to the mains first and then if it all works, will look to check room stat and possibly replace (I have a new one).

Any thoughts, just jump on in.

Nige - not sure there is a cylinder in this system - there is for the taps which comes off of economy 7. Do you think a better idea for stats would be to junk the ones on the pipes and just have a room stat (or visa versa - haven't got my head around them just yet - although learning alot through this thanks to you guys who know your stuff.

Right then: All rads now working, so system is heating and pumping. AND WE'RE WARM!!!! :D

I went and got a multi meter and next week at some stage, will need to look at wiring pump and stats back up together with the timer and seeing what works and what doesn't. I'll also try and draw a diagram of the piping here to help with diagnosis.

I want to express my thanks to all, especially JohnD for the guidance through this: As a byproduct, I've found I can also stuff a load of boxes in our loft without the ceiling caving in - which helps as after the recent move, we're living in a sea of boxes. :LOL:

If not before - wishing you all a happy Saturnalia, or Christmas if you prefer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back