Heating Valve Identification?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an 1980's vintage Y-plan indirect system with a leaking valve close to the hot water tank on the return pipe to the boiler. However I am not sure exactly what its purpose is or what to replace it with?

Is it a manual or automatic air bleed valve or is it just a valve for restricting flow?

Here's a pic:

valve1.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It'll be a balancing valve to restrict the flow through the HW cylinder, to avoid starving the CH system.
I wouldn't replace it unless it's leaking enough to be wet.

It's a Conex (make) which is good.
See comments on gate valves here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=263986

It's a Conex (make) which is good

But not in the same league as Pegler

Sponsored Links
It'll be a balancing valve to restrict the flow through the HW cylinder, to avoid starving the CH system.
I wouldn't replace it unless it's leaking enough to be wet.

It's a Conex (make) which is good.
See comments on gate valves here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=263986[/QUOTE]
Thanks for replies - it drips when the water heating kicks in so needs either repairing or more likely replacing - as far as I can see it is leaking from both gland and body but is manageable until I drain down and replace.

As it is working as a restrictor, when I replace, how best to rebalance safely/effectively?

It is probably a restrictor to balance the flow through the cylinder, but it could be a "bypass".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back