heatline c24 intermittant hot water..help

if it it was me i would of offered a no fix no fee.

if you had a fault that i had not seen before hen the extra hours i put would be worth it. i have comes across this before with systems that were not dirty but with no common cause.

portsmouth is a bit far for me but get in contact with your local service agent and sound him out.

also you can email me and i may be able to offer some advice.

Sponsored Links
thanks again.

ill look into a fixed price call out fom a main company.

the boiler flush offer came from a gas safe registerd engineer who would do it privatley hence cheap price. was a mates brother.

I still may not go for that option, as i could save £50 if its not a blockage.....

But if say b.gas came out and said..its the blockage in heater exchange due to "dirt " will that be a excuse for them not to do anything and then ill be wasting nearer £200 ..or would that be a classed as no fix no fee ???

thanks again for all your help..ill keep all updated.. even with precise discriptions (i know tests need carrying out to be sure) we still dont have a winner for the fault possabilities.. .. sound like its a real rare fault.
so mabe it will have other enginners baffled regardless of experience

hi there
i really coudn't say..

if that was terrible out would that affect the boiler dramatically even when on warm levels.

if i was to turn it up, the lights and water temp do go up, but as i said just over heats after couple mins (with sensor out, c.h)

ill bring that up, britsh gas comming out monday.£180 all in fix, no fee if not sorted...fingers crossed

If something like a boiler flush aint inc in there visit (say that is the problem a blockage)..and not covered or attempted, im shure that would equate to a no fix no fee!! so i then can take up a boiler flush for £50.

Sponsored Links
thanks again.

we still dont have a winner for the fault possabilities.. .. sound like its a real rare fault.

so mabe it will have other enginners baffled regardless of experience

Its not a rare fault! Its a totally common fault which we deal with every day*.

Its just that we have not been to your boiler and done ALL the tests that any competent engineer would do in order to make the diagnosis.

Tony

* An admission! I have not done any today as I have had a day off and not answered all the calls. But even so I could not get away from customers. I was in the O² shop and a customer recognised me and came to ask about his problem!

Fair play
it lookes like i hired a duffer..lol :(

so if its a fairly common fault what is the main cause, again out of interest as i know you need to see the boiler....

will i be likely to see a final cure with b.gas comming tomorrow ??

There is no point in speculating or guessing as there can be several causes and most have already been mentioned.

A "blockage" can be anywhere and its necessary to find out where rather than to blindly say its a blockage.

I dont know how BG react if they think its a blockage as I think they dont cover "blockages" and a common response is to tell you it needs power flushing at £600 as that gets them off the hook and they can go on to their next job and dont get held up.

Whether its gets fixed tomorrow depends on the calibre of the engineer who attends on the day.

Heatline are not one of their favourite boilers and they usually start by saying its a very bad boiler.

Tony

Hi all (again)

british gas have come and gone.....

defo a blockage in main exchange or diverter valve!!!

he could tell straight away,

I also left out old heat exchange, which he looked at and flilled with water,blow down it and load off metal deposits (brassy) came out..terrible..

the same exchange "matey" rekoned looked clean as a whistle.
also said it he doubts the exchange is blocked either..hence why he said go for pcb....

it makes me worried how many john wayne's there mabe lurking out there.....

b.gas chap said you " just got to hold the two pipes either side of plate exchanger" to see a huge difference in temp!!! he said they should run at a similar temps.... there-fore a blockage in ether main exchange or diverter valve!!!!! (remeber secondry heat exchange changed last week)

how can one gas enginner get it so wrong..yet so simple to test ...

as a blockage is not coverd b.gas engieer cancelled job...NO FEE

Recomended a flush on boiler or to change main exchange just incase hiddiously blocked AND UNABLE TO FREE ..... failing that due to cost... get a new boiler and fit a magnaclean!!!!!

The temperatures on either side of the primary should be about 15° C lower on the return.

A blockage in the diverter valve will not change the temperature either side of it.

A blockage in the main heat exchanger will reduce the flow but the return will be cooler.

Its very difficult for the novice to work out where a blockage is.

In your case if there is a big flow difference across the plate HE rthen its either blocked or the flow rate is poor.

Has anyone bothered to remove the pump head to look for dirt in the eye of the pump? That reduces flow rate.

Tony

btw when he blow out the plate heat exchanger the stuff that came out, was it black flakes or more greyish or greyish covered in black?

also you have condensing heat exchanger as well!!! it has baffles in the water ways that could be a post of blockage.

also does your boiler make much noise?

lest hope for all our sakes that BG guy checked the burner pressure.

also you better tell who ever comes to clean the boiler that the condesing heat exchanger is cast ALU so they dont use that wrong chems for too long on it :LOL:

b.g chap didnt check burner pressure because almost straight away he said a blockage is present. (which they dont cover,due to dirty system whicj is fair enough)

blockage in In either

main exchange (which has come up most)
diverter valve!!

or secondary plate heat exchange ...but that was changed last week or so ago and made no difference at all.

there defo wasnt a temp diff of 15c , was way more of a difference
the pipe from heater exchange (which c.h pipe is cliped to and goes into diverter valve i believe , was a lot hotter than pipe other side of plate heat exchanger.

the particles were of a brassy colour solid metal flakes even, quite sizable, but you could break them, all covered in black deposits along with small black sooty bits too......

why in gods name did the 1st chap think it was fine, not blocked

the flow from actual tap is same as day 1 i think if that make any difference

Also would a exsessive burner pressure be a likely cause...even when there was a scrap yard stuffed in secondary exchange.!!! that must ring true to a blockage else where...

ill get chap to check pressure when he comes to clean exchange....(was warned by heatline to use a ph balanced chemical)

Also to add..

pump was checked for damaged or blockages by the numpty engineer, said all was fine...(£40 later)

pump was checked for damaged or blockages by the numpty engineer, said all was fine...(£40 later)

Maybe he is not quite such a nupty?

But did he REMOVE the pump head to expose the impeller ?

Did he do the "finger test" to check the torque?

Tony

your condensing heat exchanger is make from cast aluminum which mean acids will eat through it like no mans business.

the condensing heat exchanger is the one at the top right, water goes through it before it goes in to your main exchanger. it can be easily striped down and check/cleaned unlike your main heat exchanger.

i don't suppose you could try and take a picture of the brassy bits? sound unusual.

checking the burner pressure is a basic fundamental check. your boiler could be over gas which maybe making the problem worse. it takes seconds to check...

what ever you do, you need to make sure your system is clean. from that foundation you can solve any other problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back