helibars

guys,

another guy has came out yesterday and told it would be best if I have the wood changed to an angle iron???

I am aware of what this looks like is but I have no idea whether, if and how suitable they are?
Are they better/worse than concrete/other types of lintels?
My window is 1.8m wide if this helps?
He has only quoted me £100 on top of pointing to do this

as always, thanks

Sponsored Links
unsure on size he never said. What size should he be putting in so I know to question it?
it is a cavity wall and this is to only do the external skin

Using a bit of rusty angle iron externally, is the cheapskate bodge method

Tell your builder you want a proper lintel which will be galvanised and the right thing for the job

Sponsored Links
Using a bit of rusty angle iron externally, is the cheapskate bodge method
Admittedly the patent lintels are coated, but are expensive.

If he used, say, a 4x4 angle 8mm thick and gave it a good wire brushing and plenty of red oxide or equiv., wouldn't that be enough?

They would need to put some dpm material over it to divert any water penetrating through the outer skin.

Yes if the builder rubbed it down and painted it with something like hammerite or similar. Red oxide is not a wearing coat

How many builders would do that though?

A Catnic ANG, or an IG L10 @ 2100, is about £35-£40

I'm with Woody on the repointing issue, patch pointing is like sticking up a sign saying LOOK HERE! Some houses just get away with timber lintols on account of their age and type. If however yours is unique to the house and the area, and external then it may raise a few eyebrows under survey. The thing is EVERYTHING can get a structural surveyor excited.
If you think that it's a serious stumbling block to any sale, then replacing it is worth the effort and if any repointing is required to mask or repair the crack, then I would repoint the whole elevation.
What many people don't realise is that external walls above most Victorian bay windows are supported by timber bressumers and are still standing (although some probably are'nt).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back