HELP! - Accidentally sawn into heating pipe!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was taking up floor boards today and i have sawn/grazed one of the central heating pipes in the process. There is no leak but there is about a few mm graze/cut in the pipe and i was wondering what the best action was.

Is it safe to ignore/leave or does it require filling with solder? I did try this but as the floor boards are around the area, they started burning so i stopped!

I'm just worried it may start leaking in the future as a weak spot in the heating system?

Regards

Barry

Sponsored Links
You shouldn't leave it.

The floor board will have to come up, whatever you do, you'll also need to drain the pipes.

Solder a patch may be all thats needed, but the best plan is to cut it out and use a couple of sockets.

Defiantly agree with above might take some time but would be worse if it does start leaking

Sponsored Links
2-3 hours you sorting the pipe out or 2-3 weeks sorting out the rooms below once the pipe has split.

You Deicide!

Andy

As suggested but not said, you'll never be able to solder any pipe with water in it. It will be best to drain down, finish the job of cutting through the pipe, and use a slip coupling of your choice (capillary, solder, compression, or push fit) to fix the pipe up.

& looking at the depth of cut on the joist i think you need to lower the bed of your saw by 20mm ;)

Off with his head!! And out with the cut, time to solder a new section in

Pic 3 shows the cut board going under carpet gripper, which would indicate there being a wall there, this would enable you to carefully prise the short piece of board up without risking any cutting it.

There will be another joist just off the wall, and you must carefully pre-mark out, & pilot hole, where you will have safe fixing points thro the board and into the joists for the new piece of T&G. Screw the T&G down.

If you have a partition and the (rad ?) pipes run under it then come back here. But i should imagine that the pipes are a F&R from a local rad on your side of that wall.

We don't generally take underfloor F&R pipes through walls, when doorways are available.

Lets face, it's being 7 hours since the op has posted. So hopefully it's all sorted by now.

Andy

sooey,

neither would we, but i mentioned a partition, which of course, is planted on the T&G, occasionally, long after the pipework has been run.

AAMOI: we will sometimes pierce masonry rather than snaking and disrupting about the rooms.

Andy,

This is a public forum of record, to help now and future DIY'ers. The date/time factor is hardly relevant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back