help and advice please- recovered solid oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room with a sand/cement screed over a concrete sub base floor. The whole floor is uneven as the room has been extended by previous occupiers. I intend to lay a hardwood floor which is recovered solid oak previously laid in a bituminous adhesive. Firstly, will I have to clean the previous bituminious layer off the back of the recovered flooring prior to laying it or is there a suitable adhesive that will adhere to the bitumin layer and the sand /cement screed? Hopefully the final sanding will take out any discrepancies in finished height.

Secondly, I intend to break out the existing sand/ cement screed and relay it level and also to reduce the floor height to accomodate the wooden flooring. I am concious that this type of flooring can be cold so would I be better off installing a floating insulated wooden subfloor to attach my oak floor to instead of replacing the sand/cement screed? Alternatively could I install an underfloor heating system to take off the chill of a cold floor ( i'm not too keen on this option bearing in mind expansion / contraction of the wood with moisture content). Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi

Yes, you have to remove as much of the bitumen as possible. A: it will reduce some of the height differences, B: large bits of bitumen will get brittle in the long run (if it isn't already) and crumble the bonding between underfloor and wood, C: modern adhesive will take longer to bond with any bitumen residue.

Wood on it's own can act as thermal insulation. Underfloor heating and solid wood floors are in our book a definite no no

No need to remove the old bitumen (it is probably a product called Synthaprufe) if you put the floor down as follows.

Screed off if you need to gain clearance. Fix tanalised batterns on a bed of Synthaprufe (it not only acts as a dpc but also as an adhesive) then Hilty-nail the batterns to the concrete floor. Belt & braces you could give the whole of this new sub-floor a wash of our friend Synthprufe, then nail (secret through the tongues of your oak) into the batterns. Hire or buy a air floor nailer thus using the correct nails. Sand off. Thats how we've been doing it for 25 years.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back