HELP!!!! Biasi Combi M90 24S No Pressure

Will do it now but need a few details first as remember I am complete novice.

Please answer yes or no or expand more.
I need to turn the CH in and out valves back on when I repressure to 1.5 don't I?
When I turn the cold off and run the hot, I know the boiler should be off but what should the CH in and out valves be doing - on or off?
Do you want me to turn the dial on for hot water too at the moment it is off?
Do I still leave the CH off?

Sorry but need to be absolutely clear before do this.

Sponsored Links
Leave the CH flow and return valves off.

Pressure the boiler too 1.5bar and turn the cold mains to the boiler off.

Make sure the boiler doesn't fire so turn the dial to 0

open the nearest hot tap.

Having to get emergency plumber out. No water came out of hot tap when tried it but would not pressure with CH flow off and made really odd noise. Turned CH flow on and DCW and pressure rose to nearly 4. I got really scared and so I started to bleed a radiator to release pressure. It blew out the bleeding valve to the radiator and water spurted out across the room. We had to get two buckets to contain it. It has stopped now but radiator valve wont go back in. This is a disaster and I feel I am in the twilight zone. Before service guy came on Tue all was ok now all is awful. Plumber will be here in half an hour. I guess there will be no sleep tonight.

Sorry my fault. the filler is obviously in the heating circuit, thats one of the problems not being onsite.

Why can't you get the bleed nipple back in, you should be able to screw it in loosely and tighten it up with the key.

The boiler and you are quite safe a the prv would let any excess pressure out.

Sponsored Links
Its not your fault as I obviously have a problem with CH system that needs sorting.

I should have left the PRV to sort the pressure surge but was worried as gauge was heading to 4. I had visions of the side of my house exploding!!!Plumber came out to sort radiator gush and the valve. He briefly checked boiler and he too tells me it is a leak! Of course, we could find no evidence though as he went round the radiators and he went down the cellar for a look at the pipes too. Is there any chance that this could be expansion vessel or DHE or is it definitely an invisible leak somewhere?

I am now isolating boiler one more time to see if drop down to that. Luckily, if there is a leak and it is under the concrete kitchen floor I can test because plastic heating pipes go to it from the cellar into the concrete and I can cut them and end stop them and then test the system to see if drops. The emergency plumber told me what to do. If it is not that I and reconnect them with a join and no harm done. That beats digging up the floor and finding that was not the issue! The other pipe that goes into the cellar is the cold supply but is copper. Do you think there could be any chance it is that with a leak or would that not affect the boiler?

I am still obviously inept or would not have had radiators blowing but know a hell of a lot more about the CH and plumbing than I knew 3 days ago! After I have finished the isolation test. I know I still have to do the DHE test. I should turn off the cold tap and run the hot water. Should the CH flow (in & out) be open or closed when I do that? I don't want to stuff up again!!

Its such a pity that you dont seem to be able to do the two simple tests which I asked.

That would determine if it is an expansion vessel or a leak! I would guess the former ( so far ). The pressure would never go up to 4 Bar if you had a leak!

Tony

I think you are being rather unfair though of course I do appreciate your advice. I have no background in DIY or plumbing AT ALL and am trying to learn. I have had to learn loads since Wed morning from nothing and you are clearly a professional in the field so seems all too simple to you. I did not even know the basics on Wed in terms of which pipes that feed into the boiler were which on Wednesday (difference between gas & water pipe). Now I have read through the manuals and know where all the bits go. I wanted to be careful and double check things so I did not screw up like I obviously did last night. I would not expect you to start producing analytical essays on the political satire of Swift or the nature of metaphysical poetry in four days. I am doing my best so feel a little patience and totally idiot proof instructions would be helpful.

I have now done all the tests you told me except for the balloon which I will do. The only reason it has not been done is I need to get massive ladders. Also, the pipe juts out of the house at the top of the first floor and if leaking goes straight onto tarmac as my house end terrace and public walkway below. Therefore, when the PRV has vented at all when pressure too high a year ago and again last night at 1am in the morning, it stains the tarmac a deep black and is really easy to see. Just one drop shows up dramatically against it. I also thought that I could ask the service guy to check expansion vessel as knew he was out this morning.
You will not understand this as you must work in the field, but to a novice the boiler is scary as it has gas, water and electricity. I know this sounds dumb but have been worried about electric shock, gas explosions etc etc.

This morning the service engineer manager came out from the first company (did the original service) and he was excellent as he explained everything. He checked the expansion valve (as you told me to ask) and repressurised with a pump and it stayed stable even though it seemed unlikely to him that it was it. As you know, last night I did the first isolation of the boiler and then turned the flow back on, causing a radiator to blow out bleeding valve due to huge pressure. It now seems likely that the filling valve was on slightly so there was a massive surge of pressure which is why I started bleeding as was so scared.

However, after the water disaster had been cleared up last night. I isolated the boiler again from 3am till 8am. It went down slightly (.2) but may have been because the pipes were originally still a bit warm. However, when I turned the flow back on there was no pressure drop at all which suggests no leak!!!

The service manager said that this could mean that leak had righted itself. He kindly also fixed a radiator that has never worked since I moved in! He does feel that the issue over the last few days has been a leak though and but went round the house and cellar with me but could not find anything. He also told me that I will not need inserts for push fit caps when I am testing Kitchen CH pipes. This is because they are originally copper and then go to plastic just before they go into the kitchen floor. This means I can just take off the plastic join and put the push fit caps into the copper and do not have to cut anything. I can test the system and if that is not the issue can just put the join back on. He says to do this I wait till pressure zero on valve and turn CH off.

Regarding the copper cold water pipe that also goes into the kitchen (copper all the way). Is that likely also then to be an issue? I just thought that the issue would be with the CH plastic pipes. I am a bit less happy to be cutting that but will do if necessary after tested CH plastic pipes. Maddingly (or not) at the moment the CH is on and completely stable so am not going to do anything until pressure goes down again.

Another helpful poster has mentioned I should buy two full flow lever ball valves and that I should drain the system cutting the two kitchen pipes and doing the nuts up tight. I don't know exactly what this means. Is it ok to do this with CH off and pressure at zero or do I need to take more water out somewhere? Also you mention if I do use the push fit caps then I need to drain down again. Does this mean go back down to pressure zero. Let me know as have been soaked enough with water last night. Thanks.

I just want to say thanks for your advice as feel so much more confident about the CH system now and DIY. It is still a bit of a murky maze but there is a tiny light now!! I think if you are an expert in your field (like you are) it can sometimes be hard to understand the vastness of gaping black hole of DIY/plumbing knowledge others may have and this may seem like common sense to you but to me it isn't. I feel the fact that I am willing and keen to learn is the most important thing.
:)

Forget the balloon and the expansion vessel, you have a leak and your test has proved it.

The full flow lever valves means you could drain the system, valve the two pipes into the kitchen and refill, safe in the knowledge that if the problem goes away the leak is in the floor and you don't have to drain out again.

Some when in the future you will need to add inhibitor.

Its totally a waste of time for anyone to give you advice on cutting pipes as if you were a qualified plumber.

All I have ever asked you to do was simple turning valves and observing the pressure gauge.

Again! Close flow and return valves AFTER you have set the pressure to 1.5 bar. Run DHW for three minutes and see what the pressure goes up to. Should be about 1.6 or 1.7 if that.

Any other time:-

Open flow and return valves after they have been closed for 8 hours and see if pressure drops significantly. Best overnight! If its gone down then thats a leak.

Many people just dont know how to represssurise the expansion vessel. Its not just a matter of pumping it up. Did he reduce the system pressure to ZERO first? And finish with the system pressure still at zero? And pump it to about 0.9 on the pump gauge?

Unfortunately the training in boiler repairs is negligible. Its best learnt in the field from somebody competent but few are and even less actually spend any time training.

Tony

Confusion in the ranks Tony.

The overnight test there was no drop in pressure.

I think we're back to the prv not sealing after the service.

For some odd reason, the PRV in that model hardly ever leaks.

I dont know why as it looks pretty much like any other although its a different manufacture with a black knob.

I have never ever changed one on that model !

After opening a PRV, I always click it three times and then watch the outlet. I dont do callbacks. They are free visits and I dont do them either!

Tony

I suggested she runs the boiler for the day and see what happens.

Leaks don't cure themselve that's for sure

Thanks both again.

Its totally a waste of time for anyone to give you advice on cutting pipes as if you were a qualified plumber. Will not need to cut pipes if worst comes and leak under there as there is copper CH pipe that goes to plastic just before goes into kitchen. All I have to do is take off the join, end stop the copper pipe and then run CH and see if drop. Not going to do this until I see pressure drop to zero though. At moment CH been on for nearly 3 hours and no issue with pressure drop or rise!!!!!! I just need to know if it turns out that I do have a leak do I need to do anything other than ensure CH and DHW off, pressure zero. Is there anything else fancy draining-wise that needs doing?
All I have ever asked you to do was simple turning valves and observing the pressure gauge. I know but this was not simple to me as was scared of things blowing up but ok now.
Again! Close flow and return valves AFTER you have set the pressure to 1.5 bar. Run DHW for three minutes and see what the pressure goes up to. Should be about 1.6 or 1.7 if that. Am going to do this straight after finish this post. To double-check, the CH should be off? DHW temp on or off?
Any other time:-

Open flow and return valves after they have been closed for 8 hours and see if pressure drops significantly. Best overnight! If its gone down then thats a leak. Am going to do this all night tonight!!!!!

Many people just dont know how to represssurise the expansion vessel. Its not just a matter of pumping it up. Did he reduce the system pressure to ZERO first? And finish with the system pressure still at zero? And pump it to about 0.9 on the pump gauge? Yes he reduced the pressure to zero and used the pump but he checked the pressure on the boiler was up to 1 and then stopped. It was ok after that. He really did seem to know what he was doing. He also disconnected my filler loop as it was too tight on for me to do before. I will now only connect it for filling and take straight off after. Do not want another radiator shower like last night!!
Unfortunately the training in boiler repairs is negligible. Its best learnt in the field from somebody competent but few are and even less actually spend any time training. I would agree with you here. I felt total confidence in the final engineer that came out as he really seemed to know his stuff but as for the plumber that came out Friday morning and told me I had no CH working when it was just the valve off - well!! At least I have another profession so have an excuse but he should be a bit worried!!!!

Tony

Another question I have is that I have an old Wylex consumer unit in the cellar. I will eventually get it replaced but have to do up the house slowly and steadily due to cashflow and have focused on one thing at a time. Anyway, I read on a site that I could put in some minature circuit breakers into the old unit. My only worry is the CH. which has its own fuse in the unit (does not serve anything else) so have left it. The amp on the fuse says 15amp but everything I have read says that the CH should have a 3amp external fuse. Also I know that sometimes people in the past have put in different fuse wire to what says on the fuse. Is this something else entirely from the external fuse suggested in the manuals? It does look that the wires go from this box into 2 circular units with a three pronged plug socket - is that where that bit is 3amp. Sorry that this is an electrical question and if really obvious. Basically, I want to put in a MCB in and get right fuse. The fuse wires in the old Wylex do not need to be changed regularly or anything as know that would mean an issue. The only reason want to change to the flick ones is that when I was wiring up a pendant light on a separate circuit, I did not tighten up the black enough and blew the fuse which was a right pain at 11pm. All ok now!!

Thanks both again.

Again! Close flow and return valves AFTER you have set the pressure to 1.5 bar. Run DHW for three minutes and see what the pressure goes up to. Should be about 1.6 or 1.7 if that. Am going to do this straight after finish this post. To double-check, the CH should be off? DHW temp on or off?

You cannot turn DHW off on its own! Put red slider in time clock to timer and on/off putton until display says OFF.

Many people just dont know how to represssurise the expansion vessel. Its not just a matter of pumping it up. Did he reduce the system pressure to ZERO first? And finish with the system pressure still at zero? And pump it to about 0.9 on the pump gauge? Yes he reduced the pressure to zero and used the pump but he checked the pressure on the boiler was up to 1 and then stopped. It was ok after that. He really did seem to know what he was doing. He also disconnected my filler loop as it was too tight on for me to do before. I will now only connect it for filling and take straight off after. Do not want another radiator shower like last night!!

As I thought, he did NOT repressurise your expansion vessel properly!!! I am sorry that so many of these people you have experienced are muppetts.

But I suppose there are some bad teachers too. Most of them seem to be concentrated at Barnet Academy and John Kelly schools!

Tony

"""Another question I have is that I have an old Wylex consumer unit in the cellar."""

You can buy some MCBs to replace the fuse wire carriers and just plug them in yourself. About £15 each. You only really need them on the lighting circuits ( 6 AMP ).

Easier option, keep a torch, screwdriver and fusewire beside the consumer unit !

The boiler should have a fused spur switch ( or mains plug ) containing a three amp fuse.

Again! Close flow and return valves AFTER you have set the pressure to 1.5 bar. Run DHW for three minutes and see what the pressure goes up to. Should be about 1.6 or 1.7 if that.
Have done the above test and nothing hardly moved on the pressure guage. What does that mean? Leak or no leak? There does not seem to be any pressure drop at all today. I am going to run the CH for a couple more hours monitor, then let it cool down and monitor. I will then leave system isolated for the full night. Thanks again for everything. If any news on Wylex issue would be grateful. If I should go to electrical site or section, let me know. It is just I thought still to do with CH. Also apologise if I have just asked some really stupid questions about electricity. My knowledge of that may be equal to my knowledge of plumbing but at least I remembered that I had to wire up the right wires!!! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back