Help Bleeding/Air problem?

So on that picture the right hand pipe has an automatic air valve that removes the air from the pipes. Is there a unit that can be used to replace this then. And in the short term, Ill just keep opening these valves to let the air out..

Sponsored Links
You'll have to make sure the compression fitting at the bottom will fit onto the new valve but something like this will probably do the job.

http://www.h-i-e.co.uk/Honeywell-Auto-Air-Vent-Ea122-1989.html[/QUOTE]

Ok thanks do you think it would make sence to put one on the left pipe as well as its the return to the pump/boiler... I was also thinking how is the air removed because that black cap on the right hand side on top of the valve on the pic was done up should it of been un done to let the air escape.

These valves should only be sited where the water pressure is guaranteed to be higher than the outside air pressure, otherwise they can allow air to enter the system which is a bit of a disaster.

That's why there's only one on the feed side and you shouldn't have one on the other side where the cooler water is returning to the boiler, effectively being "sucked" back there by the pump.

This especially applies in your system where the header tank is probably not much higher than the location of those valves in the picture.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with those old automatic valves so not entirely certain whether the cap should normally be tight or left slightly loose. Does any water eventually come out if it's left loose enough to let the air through?

Someone else here will hopefully comment on that.

Sponsored Links
Ok just an update i had no air come out of the pump this morning so i will keep an eye on that but i did have air again when opening that black cap on the air value in the loft. Could it be possible that this value is damaged. There must also be an air leak somewhere. The pipes and pump was hunting again this morning.

It's possible the air trapped in the system is taking time to circulate round to the valve so a few attempts to bleed may ne needed.

It's probably best to only bleed while the pump isn't running so there's no danger of air being pulled the wrong way back into the valve.

When the system has finally settled down you should follow the instructions for adding corrosion inhibitor to the heating water. The gases you are releasing may not be air but a result of corrosion of the insides of the radiators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back