Help figuring out this 2 gang 2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The decorator knocked the switch today and I am trying to figure out how to connect it back up. I have a suspicion this was never wired correctly in the first place. It controls both a light and a fan, the single switch controls both the light and fan which come on and off at the same time. The other switch is redundant and does nothing.

This is different to my other bathroom which has a 2 gang 2 way switch but one controls the light and one the fan.

Anyway, just trying to get this up and running, I'll figure out the exact wiring another time. Where should the 2 red cables go?

8oy85A8.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
As the yellow cores are linked across both gangs you would expect that they are perm live, this would then lead to the assumption that the red cores are the switch wires for light and fan.

So terminating both reds in the com of either of the left or right hand gang should give you the function of both light and fan energising at the same time. Ideally you should ID the cores via testing before energising. So a continuity and or a voltage indicator would be a good piece of kit to have in your tool box/bag when attempting this type of work!

Great stuff, that worked. Thanks for your help.
If that's the functionality you want (one switch controlling both light and fan together, the other switch being redundant), then that's fine.

However, if you would prefer to have one switch controlling the light and the other controlling the fan, then I presume that if you put one red into each of the COMs, you'd get that functionality. However, one would then work 'upside down', and to correct that you'd have to move the yellow(s) from L1 to L2, or vice versa, on just one of the switches.

Kind Regards, John

Great stuff, that worked. Thanks for your help.
If that's the functionality you want (one switch controlling both light and fan together, the other switch being redundant), then that's fine.

However, if you would prefer to have one switch controlling the light and the other controlling the fan, then I presume that if you put one red into each of the COMs, you'd get that functionality. However, one would then work 'upside down', and to correct that you'd have to move the yellow(s) from L1 to L2, or vice versa, on just one of the switches.

Kind Regards, John

Cheers John! I now have my fan and light working, just the wrong way around as you warned me it would be. I'll figure the final piece of the puzzle out at the weekend!

Cheers John! I now have my fan and light working, just the wrong way around as you warned me it would be. I'll figure the final piece of the puzzle out at the weekend!
You're welcome. That last step is easy enough - for either switch, moving the wire(s) from L1 to L2, or vice versa, will make that switch work 'the other way up'.

Kind Regards, John

I'm missing something again. ;)

The yellow looks like a single yellow looped across to the other switch.

So how can you have independent control of fan and light? Surely they will come on together?

I'm missing something again. ;) ... The yellow looks like a single yellow looped across to the other switch. ... So how can you have independent control of fan and light? Surely they will come on together?
As always, it's not inevitable that you are the one who is missing something :)

However, the assumption (I know!) is that the yellows are the live feed (to both switches) and the two reds are the outgoing switched lives, separately to fan and light. If one red is connected to each switch (both of which are powered by the yellows), one would then have separate control of the fan and light. I find it hard to see what other explanation there could be for the wiring we have been shown - what were you thinking?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back