Help- has an engineer just broken my boiler !!

If the flue was faulty would the detector have gone off?

Thanks

Not necessarily

Dependant on the type of flue, its possible that the part of the flue with a hole in only had fresh clean air, Its usually the internal part of the flue of said particular type which carries products of combustion.

Sponsored Links
Why is it ALWAYS the Engineer that is the Villan! :evil:
when you attend any gas or oil appliance you have to be mindful that it could be at least 12 months before another inspection will be made on the appliance, so if a flue, or a burner or any other part looks a bit "iffy" then it is right and proper that the Engineer has a good look at the item, which sometimes means tapping loose rust and debris away to fully inspect the part, if that results in a perforation and an AR or ID situation, then the Engineer cannot really be blamed in fact you should be THANKING HIM or HER ;)

Ruth, I have a Ford car. Can you tell me if spares are available?

I thought not!

Wickes is a building materials stores. They sell boilers but dont make them! You need to see exactly which boiler model you have.

Then we can tell you if spare parts are available.

Can you photograph and post a piucture of the hole?

Tony

I have got an old boiler admittedly but have had british gas homecare cover for years and over that time they have practically rebuilt it with spares. It has been running fine but blew a fuse this morning.

I rang them and the engineer came out and changed the fuse and then started bashing around and scraping with a screwdriver.

He then said there is a little hole in the flue and condemned it!

i have a detector in the room that has never gone off.

Do you think he could have damaged it or would it just be wear and tear?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...r-just-broken-my-boiler.314097/#ixzz1nKQIXoz9

Hi there just to put my ore in and answer a few things, scraping / poking a flue, case or any part of the metal work with a screw driver is 100% ok as a matter of fact you should thank the engineer for his work as many would not go to the extent of these extra checks , as one guy just has said its like a car mot where they are required to do this to the underside of your car.

The co detector. this may not have gone off depending on the position of the hole with out more information its hard to say, but when a flue rots its normally on the inner flue (exhaust flue) theres a 2nd outer flue this is the air intake. so the air comes in from outside down the outer flue, burns in the boiler and is sent down the inner flue to outside, if theres a hole in the inner flue it draws the already burnt exhaust gases back into the boiler and trys to re-burn air thats got a low oxygen content this causes high co /co2 readings and over a period of time (could be days or months no way to tell) this becomes dangerous causing sooting inside the boiler this then could force co /co2 into your room then the co detector would go off.

could he have damaged it? i doubt it the flue metal is 3/4mm think and hard it would take a very strong man to puncher good metal.

Sponsored Links
There are threads on this site where engineers (of different companies)
who condem gas boilers in favour of a new boiler sale are rewarded with a £££ bonus or is it part of their daily routine to sell,rather than using common sense.
A photo of where the hole is would help,everything is repairable.

Mmm, I'll be a Halstead Best or Gold, Wicks Specials :LOL:

They are getting on a bit now, if the flues rotten theres little that can be done now.

To me what the enginner has done is completely reasnable, if I as an engineer suspect something wrong with a flue i would also have a tap and scrape or two at the suspect area, if the driver doesn't go through then fair enough it would seem safe,
But if the driver poked a hole then consider yourself lucky as this could have resulted (very soon) as a holed flue and potential problems.

Hi Agile

It is a Halstead boiler. I cant post a pic as he used a hand mirror to see the hole

Wow ! well he's been thorough and presumably couldn't have knocked as hole in it if you cant get to it.

He probably saw something that caused him to investigate it, he's done you a big favour very unusal for british gas ! :LOL:

The favour is he may have saved your life of stopped you from getting brain damage !

It is possible to take a a picture of an image in a clean mirror!

or just take a pic of the boiler so it can be identified and give you the answer you want. :idea:

If its a Hslstead iv'e just ripped out a finest gold & flue is in good condition!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back