Help - Having a nightmare, bore hole, pressure tank, no water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can help, been without water now for 2 weeks, real problem finding trades who are available and experienced with this system, have been slowly working our way through it.

Have finally got the bole hole pump, pressure switch, pressure tank set up. Based on what is written on the tank we now 6BAR of pressure on the water side and 4BAR on the air side, the pressure switch is kicking in as I would expect, I was hoping this would resolve all the issues, however we still have no water.

The pressure tank is situated just above ground floor and we have a tank in the loft to gravity feed the house, this tank is empty. My simple logic is we have water to the pressure tank we now need to get it to feed the tank in the loft.

What I am not clear on is whether I should expect there to be a pump in-between to achieve this or whether the pressure is meant to be enough.

There are two pumps in the airing cupboard, one is a heating circulation pump the other to apply pressure to the upstairs showers. I cannot find another anywhere on the system.

When the pressure switch was replaced a 12BAR switch was removed and replaced with a 6BAR which is the recommended for this system, however I am now thinking that maybe we need more pressure to achieve pushing the water up to the loft tank.

Any ideas / thoughts very welcome, in desperate need of water!

Sponsored Links
More details req. make/model of bore pump, vessel, pressure switch etc.
Diagram would be good.
Does the bore hole only supply the large cistern in the roof?

Yes it does, the system up until the pressure tank is working just fine (now), pressure switch kicks in when expected, pump kicks in to life, pressure in tank is maintained at the recommended levels, for whatever reason we don't get water through the house, and the loft tank is not being filled. Not sure if I am looking for another pump beyond the pressure tank or the pressure is enough, having done a little more reading I am assuming the latter so not sure if there is some sort of blockage, have left all the taps open to hopefully clear any air in the system, have exhausted all lines of investigation for myself, I have a plumber popping in tonight, crossing everything he can find something obvious and is able to help.

Sponsored Links
Why would you expect water out of the taps if the cistern in the roof has no water in it?
Does the roof cistern have a standard float valve? Perhaps that is blocked....a standard float valve only needs a spec of grit.
What filters are on the system and water treatment system?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back