Help IDEAL BOILER No Hot Water or Heating or pilot light :0(

"Taking the cover off" is "opening it".

That should only be done by a gas engineer.

Call one and tell them the model and that a new seal will probably be required ( plus the very expensive glue ).

Seal perhaps £10-£20 and the glue about £11 for a tiny bottle!

Tony

Sponsored Links
okie dokie will do........

the outside of the box ha a screw attaching it there was no seal what so ever the seal that appears to be dangling down and sindged is within the sealed area of the pilot light on the inside this area has not been opened at all obviously :0)
Presumabley if he has to come out to change the pilot light he will need to get within that area hence will need to reseal it anyway?
There were no seals on the outside box to break only a screw on the top which was undone and is now rescrewed.
This was previously opened about 9 years ago by Mclean homes by unscrewing it too when they could not get the pilot light to start hence how he knew t undo it.

Do i need to mension this dangling down thing we can see or do i just say the pilot light won't re light?

This is what it says on the website what should i say to them?

If your boiler or central heating is broken we'll repair it for a fixed, upfront price - no matter how big the problem is. You won't have to worry about any emergency boiler repairs or about how much it will cost you.

Boiler & heating repairs
Our one-off boiler and central heating repair service includes:

No Call out charges
Fast response from a Gas Safe (formerly CORGI) registered, fully qualified British Gas engineer
No contract required
No fix no fee
12 month guarantee on all work
24/7 UK manned customer helpline
Competitive fixed price including parts and labour - for any repair

there should ba screw at the top and 2 at the bottom 1 either side

there should also be a seal around the casing.which must be sealed before the boiler will fire.

please dont touch anything else

there should ba screw at the top and 2 at the bottom 1 either side

there should also be a seal around the casing.which must be sealed before the boiler will fire.

please dont touch anything else

yes there were three screws he just said but it's definatley not sealed infact the manuel give you directions on how to take the outer casing off its all been put back together and he has not touched it since all your very helpful and informative replies he also put it off at the electrics and turned all the manuel heating and water switches off so it'd not attempt to switch on.
I have just phoned British gas they said £164 including vat for a fix upto £1000 if they can't fix it you pay nothing. They tried to talk me into a fix of £96 if i took out a yearly policy of £22.50 a month which seemed a little steep so i said i'd call them back is it worth my phoning a local plumber ( my nextdoor neighbour is a builder and knows a plumber he uses ) and get a quote from them telling them about the seal thing dangling down inside the pilot light chamber or do you think i'd be better off with the £164 British Gas?

THANKS AGAIN IN ADVANCE And if you ever have an animal/veterinary questions i can answer just let me know my hubby is a vet and i am a veterinary nurse :0)

Sponsored Links
i would check to see if that price covers more than 1 fix

ie seals/missing screws AND whatever the other problem with the burner is.Im sure there used to be a policy of 1 fault but i may be wrong

but if its anything up to £1000 then go for it

i would check to see if that price covers more than 1 fix

ie seals/missing screws AND whatever the other problem with the burner is.Im sure there used to be a policy of 1 fault but i may be wrong

but if its anything up to £1000 then go for it

The guy on the phone said its fixing it upto £1000 and if they can't fix it for under that you pay nothing he said something like if we have to change the ignotion or the pilot light or anything upto £1000.

I JUST PHONED back BG you are so right if the fault is related they will fix it for £164 but if there are 2 seperate faults unrelated to th emost expensive fix they you are charged £164 plus the cost of the additional repairs. :0( YIKES.. I can't think the faults would be unrelated because it worked fine until that moment when it stopped personally i think the inner seal/ropey thing came loose dropped down and got burnt by the pilot light hence the pilot light switched off and the whole system shut down and the pilot light won't restart?? Does this make sence hence it's the same fault it is not.

I just phoned the next door neighbours plumbing friend and explained about everything including the inner seal thing hanging down and that british gas had quote £164 for a complete fit but that my neighbour had greatly recommended him and said i should call him first he said he is due out tomorrow am to my neighbours house anyway so will pop in and take a lquick look i gather thats to give me a quote i'm actually wondering tho from what your all saying in theory judging by what you charge would it be cheeper to do British Gas's fixed fee of £164?

I suppose i am just worried incase he starts trying to fix it and before long the fixes he does do not work and before we know it a huge bill has accumilated.

But the worry with BG is them making out somehow if there is more then one fault they are unrelated and us being ripped off in the process all i know is one day it all worked fab then the next it stopped and when switched oon it all makes the same noices it used to but just there is no hot water and no heating and the pilot light is out.

Would your husband be willing to fix my dog for a fixed fee?

as long as the faults dont add up to a nightmare in time or money they will probably get fixed on one fee.

the clause regarding multiple faults is really more for the particular type of ****** who saves up 20 faults on the boiler and system and expects them all fixed for one price.

My husband does not charge his boss does :0( And in answer to that there has been many a time he has removed stitches or done a check up and told the people not to worry and slipped it through as no charge. There is a little old lady he has been doing free out of hours for years with minimal charge just to cover the dogs medication certainly not charging as he should but then the difference is he is in the caring profession i suppose.
We have a constant stream of neighbours animals being brought to the door for stitches or cuts/abcesses etc all of which are free of charge it does drive us insane but we are firm believers of what goes around comes around so put up with it. Not to mension the never ending ammount of advise requested or wildlife brought round for us to try and save after their cats have mauled them. So yes i don't think its to much to ask for an honest price for an honest job.

Lets be honest before this becomes a free for all noone expects you guys not to make money you need to live and feed your families just like the rest of us but we all know not everyone is honest or above board and its unfortunate that because of this the general public are mistrusting which leaves people like myself non trusting and scared of calling out a proffesional hence people trying to self fix first to avoid being put in this position.
I'd have no problem paying someone the parts and labour if they were reasonable but its not always the case unfortunatley.

Just a little update the plumber friend of my neighbour was at there house for 2 hours then came here for a total of 4 mins :0) and got it going again.
He said he thinks its been going out in the wind and at the back of the boiler a wire connected is nicked and has tape round it ( presumabley from when it was installed ) He says the wire will need replacing and he'll get in a thermocouple and give it a good clean out and on monday for us while he is replacing the wire etc :0)
Still have absolutely no idea how much it'll cost i asked him what i owed him he said he'll tell me on monday... :0( yikes :0( I menstioned we had other jobs in the next month we'd like a quote for eg capping a radiator so we can remove from the wall and replacing a gas stove top thingy.

Does anyone know what the wire is he is refering to and how much it'll cost and how much the thermo couple will prob be? Does any of the above make any sence at all? He's returning to next doors house on monday morning so said he would pop in after any idea's anyone what kind of bill we'll be facing on monday?

There is a little old lady he has been doing free out of hours for years with minimal charge .

Something similar got me in a lot of trouble :D

a thermocouple and ht lead shouldnt cost more than a tenner

but if there are damaged or missing seals then this is I.D and should not be put back on even temporarily,even if your very cold or need a bath

The wire is the ignition lead, perhaps £15 and the thermocouple perhaps about £8-£12.

I do hope he has dealt with the seals though!

Some people were ripping off this Scottish vet on this forum because they have a reputation for high earnings but I found that a survey showed the average earnings to be only about £36 k. A friend whose ex-husband is a vet says his earns more like £150k but I suppose he owns the practice.

A lady in Coventry was ostracised by other vets because she used to work for an animal charity and then set up a practice charging reasonable prices.

Tony

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP AND REPLIES..

We need to get our own practice 150K goodness me. My husband is 15 years qualified is really quite a skilled surgeon and is the biggest earner for his practice and the most experinced his wage is 43,000 of which the tax man rips the hell out of :0( He once worked out with all his oncall he gets £1.50 an hour. We spent 16 grand on a Toyota avensis verso 6 years ago and its just died due to his job killing it hence this last few months have been worrying fincanially and hence my concern now about a big plumbing bill had we not had the continuous throwing money away trying to fix the car over this last few months i'd have not been to worried with his spending heeps on repairs only to not get it back on the road i'd have prob not been so freaked about the central heating needing repairing but it always seems to happen at once. I'm an at home mum and his is the wage supporting the family so trust me not all vets get huge wages this side of the border certainly you get far less :0(

Still i am not complaining he still has a job i just wish things would stop breaking this month :0(

We need to get our own practice 150K goodness me.

My friend's ex-husband probably had a practice in Hampstead where she lives. They probably charges Hampstead prices !

Not only does he have to support his new wife and the first wife's two children through uni but pay all the housing costs of the ex-wife who lives alone in a three bed house in the Garden suburb which must have been worth not much short of £1m two years ago.

She has an old Potterton Netaheat which is a very outdated old boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back