Help - installed a new battery the wrong way round!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted a new battery the wrong way round for a second. Realised my mistake and installed it correctly.

Now the car won't start or turn over, it just clicks when I turn the key. The lights, fan etc are working.

Is there a step-by-step process I can follow to find out what damage I've done and how to fix it?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
do you know if the battery has to be coded into the ECU at all, I know various cars have to have the battery setup !!!!!!!, my 14reg audi had to have a this done, just incase it happens to be that

Is there a bank of heavy duty fuses attached to, or close to the positive battery terminal?
Check these first.
John
Hello John,

Yes, there is a fuse box next to the battery. See pic.

Do I check check the small rectangular ones with a multimeter and the square purple ones by eye?

Do I need to check the black square ones at the back?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20231205_154348.jpg
    IMG_20231205_154348.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 34
do you know if the battery has to be coded into the ECU at all, I know various cars have to have the battery setup !!!!!!!, my 14reg audi had to have a this done, just incase it happens to be that
Sorry, I don't know what that means.

That’s only for the charging rate to be reset. That in itself shouldn't affect the starting side of things.

Think there are 2 locatiosn for fuse box, this vid shows main location under bonnet and one is in the , the vid is for left hand drive but location is similar. You should be able to pull the smaller ones out to see if any ar ebroken:

I blew a fuse in sept on mazda6 when changing a part, teh fuse was located under the dash of footwell front passenger location.

good luck

Hello John,

Yes, there is a fuse box next to the battery. See pic.

Do I check check the small rectangular ones with a multimeter and the square purple ones by eye?

Do I need to check the black square ones at the back?

Thanks
The black rectangular things are relays, and likely to be ok.
All the other things with a number are fuses so remove each one and check them visually.
Be lucky!
John

Fitted a new battery the wrong way round for a second. Realised my mistake and installed it correctly.

Now the car won't start or turn over, it just clicks when I turn the key. The lights, fan etc are working.

Is there a step-by-step process I can follow to find out what damage I've done and how to fix it?
Thanks.
Is the battery fully charged?
Your symptoms are typical of a flat battery......

Sponsored Links
Back