help! leak from car roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With all this heavy rain at the moment ( icon_sad.gif ) I've noticed a pretty bad leak coming from the roof of my Y reg Peugeot 206. I've located it coming from where the aerial is attached to the roof, and water is dripping through into the inside where the interiot light fixture is! First question - is this dangerous?

Second question - is there anything I can do to help fix this myself? Or do I need to shell out lots of cash to a Peugeot dealer to fix it for me?!

Sponsored Links
On some cars, if you pull out and remove the interior light fitting you can see the bolt that fixes the ariel to the roof (situated behind it). Sounds like it needs tightening up or a new seal fitted.
If you losen the ariel you may be able to apply a small amount of clear silicone around the hole itself. Five minute job.
Thats assuming that it is the ariel leaking? It might be worth checking to see if there's water leaking through the seal at the top of the windscreen.

thanks glassman, i'm pretty sure it's coming from an edge around the aerial as i found a small pool of water there, so i think i'll try using sealant first. if that doesn't work, and it turns out to be the windscreen seal - is that an expensive job to get it replaced?

Sponsored Links
To be fair, it's unlikely to be the windscreen but it can happen.
If it is then it's a job for a windscreen repair company because the seal around the glass will be at fault.

More than likely it'll be water ingress around the ariel mount ;)

Back