Help! Lesson learned the hard way.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a new house and I've tripped a switch inside the house that has knocked out the electric garage door so... in other words locked myself out of the room with the consumer unit (garage). Stupidly (and I won't do this again) the side garage door has the key on the inside and locked.

Is the only way to smash the side garage door and then re-glaze?!

The side garage door has the hinges outside so I wondered if there was a way I could take them apart and open it? I'm guessing not as it wouldn't be very secure if this could be done.

Any ideas?!?! Help!!!! Please.

Sponsored Links
Call a locksmith, they may be able to open the door with the key on the inside.

Sponsored Links
Apparently, these locks can be easily 'bumped', which is why I replaced mine with security locks. A good locksmith would be able to do it... or a petty thief!

Thanks for your help and suggestions guys. I will update you on the solution later but what sort of figure do you think they'll charge getting me back in? thanks for your help.

Have a look at some of the videos online for opening garage doors from outside. Mine (pretty old) has an external locking door handle which also operates a release for the lifting gear. Anyway just a thought. Good luck with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back