HELP my boiler is broken

dbj

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my ideal icos m3080 boiler will only light for a short space of time and then it goes out. Just before it stops you can hear a spitting of water noise inside the boiler. My friend said that it is not broken but its is cutting itself out (which I already figured myself ;) ) I have turned it off completely as I am scared it will blow up :eek:

Sponsored Links
could be a leaking heat exchanger, water may be spraying onto burner causing the spitting sound

Had it serviced lately? Could be the condensate trap blocked and the sump is full of water :rolleyes:

The flue is connected to the bottom of the heat exchanger so the noises you hear is the trapped condensate bubbling, before cutting out. Are you getting a L:F code?

Hi guys

Well I just tried it again and initially it fires up and starts going but then it slowly starts to die down something like a clunk kind of like something switching off is heard and the burner light starts to flash and then it conks out. The only letter on the lcd is a c which is usually there or is it a 0? sorry I am not sure. There are no other codes that I can see and the and switching on the heating seems to make it worse. It was last checked about a year ago when it conked out but it belonged to the council then :(

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

Dont worry I wont be trying any diy unless I am 100% confident that I know what I am doing. Which leads me to my next comment I have not idea where the pump is so I dont know if it is working :oops: (please dont laugh) Where can I locate it?

Kev you are not funny I am cold and I fear that I may have to buy a new boiler :cry:

I would suggest that you get on the phone to british gas and arrange a call out from one of there engineers for a very resonable £170 for parts and labour.

You need to dismantle the boiler to fix any problem so is not recommended by the amature.

Does sound like the condensate trap as previously said......the C always comes up....thats the boiler firing....if you leave it after that there will be another code comes up ie.....L.....then F

OK you are right I will call britsh gas and fork out £170 for the privelige. Thanks for all the help and I think you are right about the heat exchanger thingy :LOL: Good to know I now know so much about the boiler though thanks you very much.........if anyone knows of a gasman who will do it cheaper than british gas let me know. I am in the central manchester area.

ANY ADVANCE ON £170 :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back