Help needed regarding Focal Point Flueless Gasfire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A few weeks ago my boyfriend and myself had an old gas fire removed and a focal point flueless fire fitted by a corgi registered engineer. After all the comments I've read about flueless gas fires I am regretting not getting an electric fire instead!

I'm concerned as I paid the engineer cash without VAT. I've checked to make sure he's registered and he is, but I understand Focal Point may need to see an actual receipt.

Anyway, so three weeks in and I've noticed the black paint peeling away on the sides of the fire. I'm going to contact B&Q and Focal Point regarding this, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas why this is happening?

Sponsored Links
A few weeks ago my boyfriend and myself had an old gas fire removed and a focal point flueless fire fitted by a corgi registered engineer. After all the comments I've read about flueless gas fires I am regretting not getting an electric fire instead!

should have read the comments first :idea:

I'm concerned as I paid the engineer cash without VAT. I've checked to make sure he's registered and he is, but I understand Focal Point may need to see an actual receipt.

focal point don't employ any engineers just local agents

Anyway, so three weeks in and I've noticed the black paint peeling away on the sides of the fire. I'm going to contact B&Q and Focal Point regarding this, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas why this is happening?

b & q + focal point = :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cut your losses and skip it whilst you still can.

At the moment you are parked on the edge of a big cliff with a dodgy handbrake.

It was a local corgi registered engineer, not Focal Point.

Kevin, I am genuinely looking for help, but all you have done is post snide comments. Why bother?!

should have read the comments first :idea:

focal point don't employ any engineers just local agents

b & q + focal point = :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I'm going to contact B&Q and Focal Point regarding this,

when you get through to focal point ask for alistair then give the handbag h ell

;)

try and get your brass back and get a decent fire

not flueless :idea:

edit you misread it

the first line of the script you will get from focal point is we will send an engineer out to inspect it

i used to sub for them thats how i know

and bear in mind he goes with the remit of "blame the installer"

if you consider my advice snide comments don't read it :rolleyes:

I will bear that in mind about Focal Point. I was thinking that both parties will try and blame the installer. It's not only the cost but the principle of the matter, which is why I was wondering why the peeling has happened. I don't want to receive another fire or have the current one fixed and then have the same thing happening.

I didn't mean to be rude but I did feel like you were initially gloating, but if you have worked for focal point I can understand why you would!

Cheers for the help :)

Peeling paint, fire overheating. Did the installer check the gas pressure, a young girl got killed in wales not long ago with yet another faulty fire.

The fire is only intended for background heating, at best an hour or so's use a day.

But hey ho you've been warned.

It's been on for longer than that on some occassions :!:

I did want an electric fire but I was persuaded that a gas fire was the way to go :confused:

I think I may see if the fire can be replaced with an electric one instead at some point. Thanks doitall

Just send it back to B&Poo and tell em it's not fit for purpose.

These things really are dangerous, and if you have a dodgy installer, that hasn't checked everything at least 3 times they are deadly, an accident waiting to happen.

BG and most Rgi's will not touch them, for a very good reason.

Back to the fire!

Do you have a CO alarm that makes a noise?

Only a complete idiot would fit one of those fires without a CO alarm.

Is there a permanently open ventilation to the outside at least a metre away (?).

I dont want to denigrate the advice already given but the usual expectation is that if there is any problem with a fitted appliance then you should first call the installer.

He has responsibilities firstly in relation to the work he has done fitting it and secondly from a safety point of view as its a gas appliance.

You can also make a complaint to Gas Safe and thats likely to get a quicker response than the manufacturer and that will be a free visit for you and a free call to 0800 408 5500

We dont know why the paint is peeling. Perhaps the fire is incorrectly set up and is getting too hot, or the paint is faulty, or something else.

Tony

Can one of these flueless jobbies be fitted in a bog standard class 1 flue? and does that in anyway reduce the issues taked about?

Is the 100mmsq min vent still then required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back