Help needed with potterton lynx please

Being over 45 ( not tooo much though ) Sue called me to come and see the boiler.

Those who understand boilers will now see why its so difficult to diagnose some faults on the internet!

On arrival boiler was not working at all but soon started but had a smaller flame which was lifting off and causing the flame detection to fail so the flame cycled on/off irregularly. The burner pressure was 8 mB instead of 13 mB hence the poor DHW performance.

The fan was not the original but one of these made up new ones but not powerful enough to remove all the POC hence the vitiated flame. I left it working and set about looking for a used replacement manufacturers fan.

After a couple of weeks it failed completely so I returned and fitted the correct fan. The boiler was not lighting as the flow switch was not operating. The fan impeller was full of dirt!

The burner pressure would not go over 8 mB because the gas pipe was undersized and the meter regulator was set too low at 18 mB. Correcting that I was able to get 11 mB at the burner and to get the boiler working quite reasonably well and much quieter.

With all those faults together and an unsuitable fan its not surprising that we sometimes find it difficult to diagnose faults over the internet.

I quite like these old boilers. Lets see how long it stays on for though!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thats a pity I am looking for one for my collection !

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back