Help - New Boiler - Possible Cowboy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a builder do some work for me (an FMB registered) - to remove existing boiler/tank system and install new combi boiler & renew gas/ch piping (I supplied the boiler).

(+ to remove an internal partition wall to create larger bathroom & also create a new wc under stairs etc.)

On the quotation, he stated safety certificates would be issued for electrics/gas works as required.

I'm not very impressed with the general quality of the work (I think he's got some Polish cowboys working for him) - but more importantly I'm concerned about the boiler installation etc. -- It looks like he's used one of his own plumbers to do the installation of the boiler+piping etc and then had some corgi registered guy come and inspect the work and give me a LANDLORD safety certificate, which means the installation was previous (I think).

I feel very cheated and taken advantage of as i'm only young and it was my first house purchase (1st works on the house - my luck!!)

Some water/ch pipes are leaking (as he boxed them in and plastered over before checking). Can someone tell me what sort of safety certificates I should have been issued and what are my options - I still owe him over £1k.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Ash :( :( :(

Sponsored Links
Hold onto that money and call CORGI.

Call him back ond offer him a chance to rectify and ask for the installers CORGI number. You should have been issued a GWN which he has 20 days to do and this can take two to three weeks to arrive from CORGI.

A shame that this has happened on your first project, but look at it from the point of view thatr you know what to look out for next time.

He did fit a condensing boiler didn't he?

All new boilers come with a benchmark logbook either seperate or in the back of the manufacturers instruction book, which contains a number or test results and checks that the installer should have done and filled in accordingly and left with you. Also the installation should have been notified to building control (usually done via corgi if the installer is registered). If that hasn't been done you could have problems selling your house in future, also the new boiler almost always has to be a condenser and the installation should comply with latest building regs (part L), the electrics should have been done either by a qualified electrician or an installer with the necessary electrical qualifications and testing equipment. If the builder was a bit of a cowboy and none of this has been done you can contact corgi and ask their advice, certainly hang on to that grand until it's sorted properly. A landlords certificate is not the way to sign off a new installation.

Sponsored Links
I'm confused - all I have is a form titled 'landlord/home owner' gas safety record.

It seems like this is all what I will get!!! What about my boiler warranty etc.?

I've had a look at the manufacturer's book and the benchmark pages are NOT filled in - it looks like i've landed a real cowboy!!

Should I ring the corgi guy and ask him the question?

Thanks, ash

Definately...

You have a landlord's safety certificate; which is all well and good but without the benchmark and GWN the installation is not legal.

Call CORGI themselves : 01256 372200 and request an inspection. Hopefully everything will be fine, but if this is your first house then you want everythnig to be tip-top.

The fact that he's got you that cert PROVES the installer wasn't corgi regd, or there wouldn't have been any point.

That certificate only tests the visible GAS safety aspects, which isn't all aspects of the installation by a long way.

Some manufacturers baulk at honouring guarantees if the Benchmark isn't filled in. BG can & do refuse to honour 3* insurance if you can't prove a corgi regd guy fitted the boiler.

Keep the £1000
Remind him you can sue for rectification.
Trades Descriptions violation if he purported to be Corgi regd, etc etc
Call Corgi, Trading Standards, FMB.

as others have said ring corgi
you should have a blue building control certificate NOT a CP12 landlord's/homeowner certificate
what boiler has been fitted if it is not SEDBUK A or B then the builder has shafted you
if you need help on SEDBUK then post the details of boiler and we will try to help
DEFINATELY DO NOT PAY THE BALANCE OF MONEY until all work is completed to your satisfaction and you have had a visit from CORGI

Hi, Thanks for all your replies. I don't think he's going to complete the work to corgi standards and issue me with the correct certificates. He's not corgi and he'd have to get a corgi to inpect and complete all paperwork to make it legal and I don't think he'll do that!

The boiler is an A-rated condensing which I supplied.

The problem is he still has my keys to the house and I was supposed to pay him the balance tomorrow Sunday.

I can't get hold of Corgi/Trading Standards or anyone at weekend - What would be my best option?

Ash

mchu6am4 said:
I can't get hold of Corgi/Trading Standards or anyone at weekend - What would be my best option?

Ash

Change the locks?

FWIW federation of master builders is a waste of time, i know someone who joined he only did it to see if he could

Change the locks today, stop him gainning access.

or

Phone him, tell him what you have been told here, give him chance to rectify

or

contact corgi and report as surgested.

infuture check qualifications. We all carry cards and would not refuse or give excuses for not showing them, cowboys do.

agree with last post change the locks the builder has keys for. not expensive to change barrel on yale B&Q are open and have a wide selection
CORGI illegal investigation team can be contacted on 0800 915 049

mchu6am4 said:
He's not corgi and he'd have to get a corgi to inpect and complete all paperwork to make it legal and I don't think he'll do that!

I dont think that you have fully understood your situation!

ONLY the person who fitted the boiler AND who is CORGI can notify CORGI of the installation and get the blue Certificate of installation.

A CORGI now can only issue a Gas Safety certificate or a Landlords Certificate.

Only the original installer can do the correct Certificate.

The only way to rectify the situation is for a CORGI to remove the boiler and reinstall it !!! Only then can he issue the correct Certificate.

CORGI are not very happy that anyone should do this and would expect the situation to have been reported to them including the name and address of the unregistered installer. Because of this and the desire not to upset CORGI some registered installers would not be happy to do that.

CORGI are not at all happy with anyone who issues the Landlords certificate in those situations either, although they are entitled to do so.

Please report it to CORGI as a first step in getting the situation put right.

Tony

We are all taking a defensive stance because we are (hopefully) honourable professionals genuinely worried for you and our trade. However we are only hearing your side of things and your technical knowledge is (for obvious reasons) a little lacking.

Whilst the advice given should be followed; you need to give the builder every reasonable chance to do the right thing or demonstrate otherwise.

This will only help to support you if things don't go your way at first. If needs be let him dig his own hole - but remember not to get out of pocket. Your might need that grand for initial rectifications - get a home address for him too if you can.

Very handy site

Dan_Robinson said:
We are all taking a defensive stance because we are (hopefully) honourable professionals genuinely worried for you and our trade. However we are only hearing your side of things and your technical knowledge is (for obvious reasons) a little lacking.

Whilst the advice given should be followed; you need to give the builder every reasonable chance to do the right thing or demonstrate otherwise.

This will only help to support you if things don't go your way at first. If needs be let him dig his own hole - but remember not to get out of pocket. Your might need that grand for initial rectifications - get a home address for him too if you can.

Very handy site

Here here, wish us Northen boys could be as articculate Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back