Help on type of electric switch to replace with

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm in the process of replacing a load of mismatched light and electrical switches in our flat, but I'm a bit confused what one of them is. I have attached a photo - it looks like a lightswitch, but has 'on' printed on it, which makes me think it is some other type.

Usually I've seen these with fuses on, but this one doesn't.

I'm guessing it's some sort of isolator switch, but any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 7ecd16cb-6a0f-4112-875b-ba28c9f88ebd.jpg
    7ecd16cb-6a0f-4112-875b-ba28c9f88ebd.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 127
Sponsored Links
A picture of the wiring of switch/isolator would be helpful.
As this could be a standard light switch or a two pole isolator. Likely the latter (edited).
Is the top of the switch marked by colour or on?

Last edited:
Thanks PrenticeBoyofDerry :).

I meant to get a picture of the wiring but didn't have time (it's a rental flat, so won't be back until next weekend - I'll take one then and post it).

Top is marked by 'on' in red text - not colour. I thought a lightswitch, but the text on it makes me think it's something else.

As this could be a standard light switch or a two pole isolator. Likely the former.
I think far more likely the latter - it has "ON" engraved on the rocker, and it's quite chunky.

Steve - did the flat used to have storage heaters?

Is there a hole for a flex on the bottom edge?

A quick look at the wiring should tell you if anything is connected to it...

Sponsored Links
It's almost certainly a double pole switch. Probably for a storage heater or other electric heater at one time.

Top is marked by 'on' in red text - not colour. I thought a lightswitch, but the text on it makes me think it's something else.
Almost certainly a 20A isolator then. It could be redundant, as already pointed out and used for wall heaters. But could quite possibly be serving some other electrical equipment! A look inside would be helpful and advise you do turn the electric off at the mains before you proceed in the investigation.

Thanks everyone. The flat does have storage heaters - there are a couple of other 20A isolators in the room too (not sure if that's a good or a bad thing!), but they're marked as 'isolator switch' - so were pretty obvious. This one looked different/odd, so I wasn't sure.

As you suggest, I'll check if anything is connected - will report back :).

Cheers for your help everyone.

(it's a rental flat, so won't be back until next weekend - I'll take one then and post it).

Really. Does your landlord know you are about to change all his switches? If not, he may not be pleased, especially if you make a wiring error and something stops working.

(it's a rental flat, so won't be back until next weekend - I'll take one then and post it).

Really. Does your landlord know you are about to change all his switches? If not, he may not be pleased, especially if you make a wiring error and something stops working.
I read that as the OP was the landlord hence the 'wont be back until next weekend'. Could be wrong though

I read that as the OP was the landlord hence the 'wont be back until next weekend'. Could be wrong though
If that is the case then as part of the duty of care to the tenants someone competent should be employed for the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back