Help please - where is pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have searched and trawled the site as much as I can but still can not find advice on the location of my CH pump.

In brief, I have an old gas fire back boiler with thermostat on gas fire and timer/heating/water controls on the side of the chimney breast. I have searched for the pump upstairs in airing cupboard - not there (or any where else visible).

Could the pump be at the back of the gas fire? This is about the only place I have not checked and have been reluctant to remove fire front.

I'm fairly sure that the problem I have is with the pump - I've read many informative postings on this site - but just can't find the blooming thing. I pray that it is not under floorboards somewhere.

Any help much appreciated - thanks in advance. Bob

By the way - house is old 2 up 2 down terrace - boiler in front room fireplace.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's a pumped system. Might be a gravity fed system?

Thanks for the response.

No, I'm not sure that it is a pumped system - seems most likely that it is not as I can not find pump.

Now this blows my whole problem solving out of the water!

Please help with this if you can........ I have only one of 2 upstairs rads working and none of the 3 downstairs working. Hot water system seems to be OK.
Have bled all.
Some rad in/out pipes are getting warm, but not all.

System was "rested" for summer and problem has happened since restarting.

Any help welcome.
Bob

as you havent mentioned it i have to ask the obvious have you bled the rads?

Sponsored Links
Yes have bled all rads. Wondering if sludge in system.....if so what to do?

had another thought as to where (if) your pump may be

you have a room stat, a boiler and a feed thats 3 cables, is there a "junction box" with all the afore mentioned and a 4th (pump) cable?

Don't have room stat. just a temp. control on gas fire.
All the wiring I could find is 2 cables running to timer switch on side of chimney breast.

No sign of a junction box.

Unless the pump is close to boiler behind gas fire I can't look further without dismantling foorboards etc.

I feel a headache coming on! :cry:

Have you tried the side of the chimney breast, sometimes a recess is formed to house the pump and allow the vertical pipes easier installation.
Try tapping the sides as it may have been panelled in and papered over.
Also see if you can find where the vertical pipes go down in relation to the chimney breast left or right side.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On the left side of the chimney breast there is a panel with a small removable door for access to the timer and control switches.
The vertical pipework (2 x 15mm (1 hot) & 2 x 20mm (both hot)) runs up this passage.
Because the hole is small I can not get in to see if the pump is hidden in here.
Removing the panel would be a major job (for me anyway).

Is there any other way of telling if the system is pumped or gravity-fed without dismantling?

Thanks to all you guys for advice so far.

Bob

I have a gravity system - does that mean that I do not need a pump at all. My plumber says \i must have a pump but I cant find it. I tried beside the hot water tank and looked under the flloboards nearby but nothing - can u help . Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back