HELP! Radiators wont work - can't remove Westherm thingy!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right!

Our heating isn't working properly. It is a gas boiler and when you turn it on, only 3 out of 6 radiators are working. 2 out of the 3 that work just have your average radiator knob and the other one is a Westherm (which is actually showing as being turned off but comes on anyway). The other 3 that DONT work all have Westherm thingamajigs that look like this:

DSC00550-1.jpg

OLD SKOOOL! I have bled ALL the radiators, some of which had air in, some tdidn't, i had the boiler off when i did this, but still to no avail. When i turn the Westherm thing on, just nothing, no water flowing through it or anything.
I read in the forum here a lady who had a similar problem and she was told that it could be that the radiator is turned off under the Westherm contraption and that she should remove it. but I can't work out how to take it off! Do you think this IS my problem - in which case how do i remove it please - if it's something else- what is it?

Thanks so much for your time.

Sponsored Links
Undo(turn anti-clockwise) the knurled chrome collar which is just below the thermostatic head.you might need some strength to do this.

Excuse my ignorance - but whats a TRV please?

I have taken the Westherm contraption off now (thanks for that) but now i don't kow what to do next! I was expecting something i could turn or something - but it is just a pin like thing underneath it!?

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
See if you can push down on the pin-it should move a few mm at least.if it's stuck down you may have to try and free it off by pushing/pulling at it with some pliers.

So DONT go at it with pliers? Or go at it with pliers but be careful?

Is it really possible that ALL 4 of the Westherm TRVs are broken!? We haven't lived in this house long so i don't know if they worked before - but surely someone would have noticed it!?

Is there a way i can tell if the TRV is broken without having to buy a new one?

About the broken trv, if you are about to move, most people would hope the next owner won't notice until it is too late.

For lots more about your problem and related causes and solutions, read FAQ and/or WIKI.
You will find most of your questions explained there.

Pliers are tricky. Though it has been known to solve the problem, it has also been known to cause leaks.

Almost invariably, several stuck trvs are a sign the system has been poorly maintained and is suffering from corrosion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back