HELP READ ALL PREVIOUS INFO UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE R CONFUSED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
GOT A SHOWER LIGHT/FAN FOR SHOWER ROOM. FOLLOWED INSTRUCTIONS SUPPLIED AND IT KEEPS BLOWING THE FUSE AT THE MAIN BOX?

i HAVE A FAN, SHOWER LIGHT, CEILING ROSE, A TRANSFORMER AND A 3AMP FUSED SPUR.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW THIS LOT SHOULD CONNECT TOGETHER SO I CAN RECHECK IT? I'VE OBVIOUSLY GONE WRONG SOMEWHERE.

BY THE WAY I WANT THE LIGHT/ FAN TO COME ON AT THE LIGHTSWITCH IE WHEN THE NORMAL BATHROOM LIGHT IS SWITCHED ON, THERE IS NO CEILING PULLCORD.

Sponsored Links
from existing lighting circuit - fused connection unit - transformer/light

Cable from the switched live (red or may be black with red sleaving) & neutral (black) on the existing light fitting/circuit, into the fused connection unit switched live feed into L supply terminal neutral into N supply terminal. Connect another length of cable (red) from the L load terminal & neutral (black) from the N load terminal up to the transformer of the fan/light,the transformer should be labled 230 volt AC Live & Neutral at the terminals where this cable is connected. From the transformer cable to the fan/light if it is not built in type.
Dont forget to connect the earth cable aswel as the live & neutral cables.
Hope that helps.

I would consider fitting a double pole isolation switch after the fused connection unit, this will provide local isolation if you need to do any maintenance on the light/fan & save you turning the light circuit off.

If it really is wired up OK then there is another possibility.
When it blows the fuse for the (I presume) lighting circuit, is this every time, or just when many other house lights are on ?
If the latter only then you may be close to the maximum rating of the circuit.
If on the other hand it neveer works, then try and separate if it is the fan or the transformer that is the culprit by removing the live feed to one orr the other in turn.
regards M.

PS only use block capitals to SHOUT ! - it makes it hard to read otherwise, and gives the impression you are angry!

thank you so much for replies i'll check again at weekend
sorry for shouting - was a bit agitated with it!

Sponsored Links
Mapj1: Thank you for your reply, however I don't think this is an overloading problem as the light in this particular room (it's a new ground floor bathroom) is back to the mains on it's own 5 amp fuse.

Comms:

Thank you for your reply. I've now taken down your response and drawn it out on paper (It looks nothing like the naff daigram supplied with the kit)

Can you clarify/confirm the following points.

I have a S/L and N from the rose to the FCU (supply)

From the FCU Load I run a L and N to transformer.

Do I then run a L and N to the fan?
The fan has has a S/L, L and N ?

Is that it?

Assistance greatly appreciated!

EFW

We need to establish a very important detail here. Since you have a transformer, I assume that the light is low voltage. That would make sense in a shower. WHAT ABOUT THE FAN?

If that's low voltage too then the light switch must come AFTER the transformer, ie on the low voltage side. This way, when you switch the light off, there is still power from the transformer to feed the fan. It will go off on its own timer.

Terminals marked L, S/L and N suggest that it's a mains powered fan but you really must check this. The voltage should be marked on it somewhere. A mains fan is wired entirely on the mains side of the transformer: L to permanent live, S/L to switched live and N to neutral. You don't mention any earth terminal so it must be double insulated.

felix,
correct the light is low voltage and the fan is on an adjustable timer ie as you say it carries on after the light is switched off and then goes off after the time set.

I have followed the diagram supplied, however I have omitted the ceiling pull.

And no there is no mention of Earth in the instructions/diagram.

Having checked and double checked I cannot see where I've gone wrong.

I'm not a sparky, but this things got me stumped.

If anyone can give me a simple diagram or instructions I would greatly appreciate it.

The best way to fault find anything is to break it into sections. Start by removing all the fan connections. Does the fuse still go? If it doesn't, put the fan back and disconnect the transformer. Now does it go?

Does the fuse go even if you remove the fan and the transformer leaving only your switch? By now you should get the general idea. Once you've got back to something that doesn't blow fuses, you can start adding bits. I would add them in this order: switch, transformer, light, fan.

Sorry efw just assumed the fan and light were a single unit.

For the fan if it is 230volt
From existing light circuit take a live , switched live , neutral & earth ( 3 core & earth cable)to a triple pole isolating switch & connect to the relevant supply terminals from the load terminals cable on to all the labeled terminals in the fan, even if there is no terminal for the earth conductor it should still be sleeved & terminated in to a block connector in case of appliance change in the future.

For the elv light
take switched live , neutral , earth from existing light circuit to the fused connection unit connect to the relevant supply terminals, then from the load live , neutral & earth terminals run cable & connect to the transformer live , neutral terminals & terminate earth conductor.

Hope that makes more sense.

GT

more sense than the supplied diagram, seemed to have far to many cables connected! and I hadn't put in a triple pole isolating switch.

thanks to everyone who took the trouble to reply, I plan to disconnect the lot and START AGAIN :( this weekend!

Comms

Thanks so much for the "simple" instructions.
All wired up and working perfectly

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back