Help with boiler who I think its Ancient!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I hope you can help.
We have never had a boiler before and we moved in June to a house that has gas and a boiler in the kitchen, Well this is all alien to me and when we moved in nothing was explained to us. The leaflet that was left by it is useless and the company its made by wont answer their phone lol.

So I was wondering if any of you can help?
I wanted to know *roughly how old you think it could be?
* Whats the plug underneath? I have no idea what its for?
Also I cannot seem to use my radiators without the water heating. On the front of the boiler (as pictured) you can see a dial? this controls the temperature of the water, I thought if you turned it to off you can have heating and no water...wrong the rads dont warm up :(
Upstairs also two rads dont seem to want to work 0_0.
Underneath it has the plug that I dont know what it does, and the black box has the dial that turns the boiler on and off.

I will have to ring my landlord but I dont really wanna hassle them ;( so I wondered if anyone had the same boiler knew if its possible to heat radiators without heating water? and who I could contact for a manual?
THANKS so much xxx

BOILER LEAFLET SAYS.. GLOW-WORM FUEL SAVER 40M MK11
FUEL SAVER 50B MK11
AND TWO G.C NUMBERS 4131595 AND 4131596
AND IT SAYS BALANCED FLUE BOILERS WITH HONEY WELL CONTROL (WHATS THAT?)
b.jpg

dial.jpg

dial2.jpg

Sponsored Links
basic boiler from the 70's early 80's heats up the water and central heating on a common pipe system 1 in 1 out somewhere you will find either a mid position valve (3 pipes with an electric box on top) or 1 maybe 2 zone valves (2 pipes with an electric box on top)

the plug (upside down by the way :LOL: ) is the main power supply to the clock, boiler and controls.

the system may be set up with gravity hot water (no valve on water circuit) or may be wired with hot water needing to be on to power the central heating circuit. (old fashioned way of wiring)

as it is a rental property your landlord has a duty to maintain the system in working order and is required by law to have it inspected annually by a gassafe registered company or a gassafe RGI

the gas valve will be manufactured by Honeywell (some had an alternative make hence the note) and is in the gold bottom drawer you can slide this bit off to gain access to the valve if the pilot goes out you can relight it by pressing in and holding the big grey button whilst sparking with the black button. hold the grey for 20 seconds once pilot lit and then release (the pilot should stay on) if it doesnt repeat the process holding the button in for a little longer. if the pilot still goes out then you need an engineer to attend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back