Help with flushing system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, this is my first post and I have basically no plumbing experience, so I'm sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've been having some issues with my boiler over the last few months, and am now at the point where I have been advised to flush out the system and add Fernox Protector. This is after a water sample was sent off by the heating engineer sent by Homeserve.

The boiler is a Alpha CD24C (condensing boiler, about 8 years old) in a one-bed flat with 6 radiators, one of which is a heated towel rail. The problem is that the hot water doesn't work very well because every time a hot tap is turned on some of the water in the system goes out to the radiators instead of where it is supposed to go. Based on what the engineer said this is because the diverter valve is clogged up. He said they may need to come and replace it, and they already did that once but apparently it got clogged up again after a few months.

So this is where I come to the flushing out. This isn't covered by Homeserve so I'm going to try and do it myself with help from my dad, who has a fair bit of DIY experience unlike me.

I found this step-by-step guide from Fernox and plan on following this as closely as I can: http://www.gotogasdocs.co.uk/f/m/Me...MS for Cleaning Existing Domestic Systems.pdf

Does that seem like a good guide to follow or does anyone disagree with it? It mentions fitting a filter too, which I might do. Will a filter make much difference in the short term considering I might be moving home within the next 1 or 2 years?

Will I be ok adding the Fernox chemicals at the top of the towel rail using a funnel? And will I need to bleed all the radiators each time the system is refilled (e.g. after adding the cleaner)?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back