help with freelander XEI S-WAGON

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all. i need help with a few things on here please.
I have just got from the auctions a 1.8 petrol freelander. was taken from customs and i thing the owner messed about with a few things.
so far i have had to replace all the fuses as they pulled them out. i guess it was to stop customs picking it up. the car runs but does not go to well (like a missing spar plug). im not sure but i guess they have swapped ht leads or messed up timing. if anyone has any specs on this could you help me out. also problem with abs TC and down hill symbol not sure what it means tho..
thank you
simon

Sponsored Links
you would probably benefit from buying a haynes manual to give you some basic ideas on fuse locations and firing orders etc,a visit to a dedicated land rover forum would help too

The three lights is a common problem - find yourself a landrover forum and it will have been covered if you search - I've seen it called 'the three amigos' Think there are a few common causes, often a faulty brake sensor switch.

Check all the obvious as far as not running properly - I assume you've checked the dipstick and that you've not had a head gasket failure. My understanding is that the rover K series engines tended to have HGF at about 40000 miles, then 60000 and so on. It would be a bit of a downer if your running problems were down to it being on 3 cylinders due to HGF. Either way, keep a close check on the coolant - very small coolant capacity leads to small leaks causing big problems.

Haynes manual is a must - Freelanders are decent cars provided you put some time in to regular maintenance and checks. I've had my TD4 auto 3 door for about two weeks and couldn't be happier, but have already started servicing!

Beware. 1.8 frelanders have head gasket issues. I had to relpace it twice in the space of 1 year. Im told its a design fault by landrover. Its pricey to get replaced.

Sponsored Links
Hi The 1.8 petrol freelander suffer from headgasket problems due to the fact the dowel`s fitted in the head to keep things lined up during assembly are made from plastic and are unsuitable for the purpose ,There is an upgrade available,with steel dowels which seems to cure the problem...Thats assuming your missfire is due to headgasket failure...also the firing order if i recall correctly is 1 3 4 2...HTH...

Back