Help with living room / front room switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lo all , just changed all my plastic switches for brass ones but have run into a problem on the last one...typical eh..

Its for my living room / front room so its running 2 seperate lights..

I have 2 black/red ( switching neuts ) and 2 red wires in the socket....the switch has 1 opening on the top on both sides ( connection side ) and 2 on the bottom of each side...

The plastic one i took off had 3 on the top and 3 on the bottom....( ohoh i hear u say ) I can get the lights to work but its reversed so on is off etc...ive tried changing the lives around...no joy...then the neuts...tripped the light fuse...

Anyone give me a detailed description of how to wire it...and finally i have to admit that i got distracted just now talking to the wife and my arm is still throbbing ....my 1st time ever not nice lol :oops:

Sponsored Links
Same connection as old switch, just think of each switch as a triangle of connections, the new one has them next to each other, the old one had one upside down and slotted in next to the other one

You shouldn't have neutrals connected to the switch plate.

If a switch works the wrong way then reverse L1 and L2

Cheers m8 , sorted..i can relax now and have a well earned cold one...and try and relax my throbbing arm ...cough cough :p :p

Sponsored Links
Galvanised said:
Cheers m8 , sorted..i can relax now and have a well earned cold one

As you have changed from plastic to brass you musr ensure there is a earth connected to the face plate as well as the back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back