Here's the season to be chilly!!!! Boiler not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an Ideal Isar m30100 (nearly 5 years old) and it started leaking water from inside the cabinet on Wednesday night (Dec.19th).
I thought, well at least I had cover with Ideal and reported the fault on the 24 hour helpline that night - I was told someone would contact me the following morning.

That phone call never came, so I had to get in touch again (35 mins. on hold) and was told the fault had not been registered but the guy was very helpful and arranged for someone to call on Friday.

The engineer didnt arrive until late in the day and informed me the expansion vessel needed replaced and didnt have the part and the factory that delivered them was now closed til Monday (he was very sympathetic, but there was nothing more he could do).

We (family with 2 kids) are now faced with no hot water or central heating until who knows when, as I was told it is a two man job (has to come off the wall to access the part) and would have to be sub-contracted at this time of the year.

As I have cover, I was not expecting to be with a broken down boiler for more than a few days, even at this time of the year.
What is a reasonable or acceptable amount of time to get this type of job sorted if you have boiler protection cover with the actual manufacturer?

My main gripe is that if the original call I made had been passed on, I may have got this problem sorted out before Xmas.

Sponsored Links
As the boiler may need to be taken off of the wall to replace the ex[ansion vessel, perhaps Mr Ideal didnt want to do it.

You could check to see if one is available over the counter at a local supplies, this would enable you to say if some one turns up with out the part, hang on I will get one.

Or,

you could even buy one on a sale or return basis just to be on the safe side.

I do wonder if you would be within you rights as a consumer, to get it fixed and send Ideal the bill, if they dont do the job in a reasonable time.

Good luck.

Tim

More probably a blocked condensate trap I reckon

Call Ideal again and see if they have another approved person in your area

Of all the faults I've seen on the Isar, and there are loads :eek: , I have yet to see a exp vessel leak.

I would look at the auto air vent first, then as corgi says. Has it been annually serviced?

Yes the boiler would have to come off the wall, but a 2 man job :eek: what a bunch of wooses. If I stuck to that I would never fit any boilers :rolleyes:

You could easily have a new expansion vessel fitted seperate from the boiler by someone else without having to have the boiler off the wall.

I really do wonder how Ideal sell anything these days with all their unreliable products and awful customer service :evil:

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar with these models but surely he could have plugged/capped the vessel pipework if the vessel was really leaking and stuck some air in a rad as a temporary fix.

Holy Mother of David Beckham, Ideal man was really pathetic on this one.
I did exactly what GG says, on a Response LAST Christmas. Took about half an hour, including drying out the electrics...

Ooh look, another Ideal.

Boiler finally fixed - 16 days after it broke down.

The expansion vessel was replaced and seems to have sorted it out but I am very unhappy to have been left with no boiler for that amount of time when I have breakdown protection.

Should I pursue this matter with the company involved as I am assuming this is a not a reasonable amount of time to wait?

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back