Hi All, Newbie Here in midst of extension

Not been too busy this week as I have been busy with family commitments..

Anyway, following on from advice on another thread on the forum, I set about moving the water meter reader to the outside wall as the extension had extended out leaving the water meter reader to be situated in the garage.

£8 later and the use of a 300mm drill bit, i had fitted a brand new wire from the connection under the sink at the back of the house, through the wall into the garage, up and along the joists again drilled a hole to site it on the exterior wall.

Fitted.. Job Done

Next up was after mist coating all the plasterwork to apply a second coat to the ceiling of the rear extension

A bit of light sanding was done and repainted

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Next up was to design a wardrobe to fit in this alcove

I measured up and used my current wardrobes to get rough idea of hanging space heights shelf space etc, then made a couple sketches of varying configurations.

With the final idea in had and calculation on how best to make use of 5 x lengths of 2.4 furniture panels, I made a list of what cuts were required for each board to avoid wastage.

This is the construction in progress

Its is actually completed and turned out well but haven't taken a photo of it, so that will have to wait until next time I'm back.

The electrician 'was' meant to turn up today but failed to do so.

They were meant to fit the lighting in the bathroom and bedroom along with plug sockets etc for the shower amongst other things. Typically they didn't reply to messages either.

It'll just have to wait until next time I'm back :)

Hi Kingandy2nd.

Thanks for your kind post & comments

Any advice on fitting location for the pump in view of your experience? I've not as yet fitted it but felt best place for it being a ceiling fed is above it in the loft.
Seems very arrogant of MIRA to state that given its design.

Best wishes

Gary

Still going strong with the build I see Gary :)

Sorry for the delay on replying to your question, I haven't logged in for a while!

I ended up moving the shower unit into the airing cupboard which was conveniently next to the shower anyway. However that probably won't be a solution for you - I would suggest fixing next to a loft hatch if possible, so it could a least be serviced from a ladder if needed.

All the best
Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi Kingandy2nd.

Thanks for your kind post & comments

Any advice on fitting location for the pump in view of your experience? I've not as yet fitted it but felt best place for it being a ceiling fed is above it in the loft.
Seems very arrogant of MIRA to state that given its design.

Best wishes

Gary

Still going strong with the build I see Gary :)

Sorry for the delay on replying to your question, I haven't logged in for a while!

I ended up moving the shower unit into the airing cupboard which was conveniently next to the shower anyway. However that probably won't be a solution for you - I would suggest fixing next to a loft hatch if possible, so it could a least be serviced from a ladder if needed.

All the best
Andy

Cheers Andy,

The location of mine is nowhere near a loft hatch so that's a none starter unfortunately :(

Was crazy busy last time I was home. Everything was happening at once and didn't have enough hours in the day to do everything.
Plumber, fitted the radiator in the bathroom, the bath/taps, etc, second fix near complete.
Electrician, nearly completed second fix, security lights, interior down lights, plugs, extractor fan, etc
Floor tiles finally turned up after 6 week wait and I started laying them in rear extension
Had a furniture maker finalise my design for the entertainment units which are due to be fitted 3rd week of April.

I'm back in uk on 30th and need to finish the tiling in the rear extension,
Tile the back wall in the bathroom to finish that off

Connect up the all the various waste pipe work and tap into existing foul pipe
Fix all bathroom furniture in position

Lay the insulation in the new roof....

Of all the things I'm having the most trouble with is finding a suitable bathroom worktop that I like.
The selection that the company who provided the bathroom furniture have, is pretty poor so don't wish to use their range
The one I did find is resin and for what I want, less than 2m x .4m is around £700!!!!!

I should have a better update and photos in a couple of weeks. :)

Update time :)

So, I've had some time consuming moments with the build which I will go into more details later but firstly with the bathroom being nearly usable it was time to get the waste pipes finally sorted and tap into the existing foul.

So having placed a couple of acro's in a suitable place we started to breakout at the location of the existing foul/waste pipe

I then bricked it back up again, didn't need to be neat as the whole garage is going to be plasterboarded :)

The electricians have been also and the second fix is almost complete, just applying power to the areas I need to work in at the moment,

The lights in the rear extension are fitted and working as is the electric velux window (centre one only)

The lights in the 1st floor extension are working and there is power to the sockets and underfloor heating, extractor fan, etc.

The tiling is complete and just need to grout the rear wall and add trim around the window and fix the furniture in place, albeit I'm still struggling to find a worktop I like!!!

There were 2 jobs I wasn't looking forward to, 1 definitely more than the other......

Insulating this

I had fitted the loft stilts some time ago and it was just the case of once the plumber and sparky had all but finished in the loft I would fit the insulation. Its not a huge area but as most of you know it's horrible stuff, even though I was in a 1 piece coverall and wearing a face mask the stuff still got everywhere.
but after a short while I had fitted it all, double layered.

The other job was laying the porcelain floor tiles, I don't actually mind laying them but as I don't do it on a daily basis, Im a bit slow and have OCD about getting them perfect on each corner which proved impossible as some had a very slight curve, only 1 - 2 mm but it makes a difference with a long tile!

Anyway, job done, it turned out ok but for one tile which had a slight chip in it and I couldn't leave it like that so had to break it out and replace it.

After several buckets of water and on my hands and knees scrubbing, they are coming up nicely

These tiles will eventually be laid outside to on the new patio area and they are rated for outdoor use too.

The above photo shows the far end wall where the fitted unit and TV will be and with the fitted unit design finalised and in build I had to make sure the measurements were all correct to allow for the TV bracket.

I luckily confirmed with the furniture company the gap to the rear which allows for cable etc, and which turns out to be bigger than i thought so requested a cut out in the rear panel of the unit to allow for the fitting of the TV bracket directly to the wall as the TV is quite large.

Its in the process of being built and will be fitted on 27th & 28th April with the dining furniture being delivered on the 28th too.

Prior to this I will be finalising the paint colour and finishing the painting in there, tiling the other gable end with a feature tile and prepping the skirting ready for fitting.
All that will be left to do is to have blinds made up and the fire door fitted.

Slowly but surely i'm getting there and will be breaking through soon once the rear extension is finished and the furniture in the bathroom has been fitted, along with the worktops & sink and shower has been tested.

Its been a mad crazy week trying to get stuff done in preparation for fitters and other stages of the build.

I had in my mind the mode to measure TV unit was due to be fitted around the 27th April but to my horror I had arranged for it to be fitted on 22nd & 23rd.
It was so lucky that I was back in the UK a few hours earlier than expected and was able to clear some space for the cabinets...

So we started off here, with my rough outline of the location of the TV.... and the delivered units covered over until the start work

Last edited:
With the fitter making good progress and things taking shape....

I decided i could not put it off any longer and start the tiling on the opposite gable end. As you can appreciate I wanted to get the section above the TV unit done first but my date cock-up has me ow thinking its going to be a pain doing it once the unit is in place but hey-ho!!!

Anyway... With much internal deliberation, lots of research and now the correct tools for the job, I commenced

The tiles themselves are Porcelanosa supplied 1000x300 and textured...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back