Hob connection and other gas questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I should start by saying that I *will not* personally be doing the jobs I describe. Even without the legislation requiring competent/qualified people, the very idea of working with gas frightens me! A friend is coming to visit who has kindly offered to do these little jobs, if I'm able to get the parts in advance that he might need. So any advice on what parts he will need would be much appreciated....

As shown in this image, the at the back of my new oven housing, there are two gas points, which have just been left with their bayonet fittings:

oven.jpg

As we're having an electric oven, the left-hand outlet will need to be capped off, and for this purpose, I have bought one of these:

cap1.jpg

This is 1/4" black steel cap, which I hope is appropriate for the job?

The right-hand bayonet will have to be removed, and a replaced with a piece of "rigid or semi-rigid copper/steel pipe" (according to hob instructions) to join it up to this connector on the back of the hob:

hob1.jpg

I am hoping my friend will be able to remove bayonet and extension piece so that it goes back to the elbow which emerges from the wall. And then attach one of these to both the outlet elbow, and the hob elbow:

p1063272_l.jpg

I am assuming this will allow the use of 15mm copper to simply connect the two.

Does this sound ok or have I bought completely the wrong stuff? Also, I have some PTFE tape already, but do I need to buy some special gas PTFE? What's the difference?

Thanks for any help.

PS In my 1970s, ex-council house kitchen, I have discovered a grand total of 4 gas outlets! Answers on a postcard as to what all these might have been for. It freaks me out a bit to think of all the gas pipework that must be running around in the walls. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I hope your friend is like the Queen's dogs?

JohnD said:
I hope your friend is like the Queen's dogs?

Took me a while that one :)

Yes, otherwise I'd may as well do it myself.

Edit: by *like* do you mean, *like* a Corgi-registered plumber? :eek:

Still unsure about the difference between 'qualified' and 'competent', and which is prescribed by law. I have a friend who is a Corgi-registered plumber, and one who has years of plumbing/gas experience but pre-Corgi so not registered. Would either of these be able to do the work?

Anyway, I expect this is rehearsing a debate from elsewhere on the forum. Suffice to say - I aint touching it. I have enough to lie awake worrying about without DIY gas-work... :)

He has to be Corgi regd and have the COOKERS module ticked on the back of his corgi card. "Competent" won't do if he's being "employed."

For the left one he''ll probably need a plug not a cap. Beyond that, it depends what he fits. He has a choice of pipe sizes, for example. He'll need a gas cock too, Anyone who does this sort of work will probably have the bits already.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the clarification.

I shall just get a bunch of fittings and take back what he doesn't use. The fittings I have bought so far screw onto the hob end no problem, and look like they are about right for the wall end (hard to tell until it's off). These fittings take 15mm copper.

I guess what I was mainly unsure of, is whether these kind of compression fittings (i.e., olive and nut) are ok with gas, or if it has to be soldered.

Also, do I need to buy special gas PTFE tape, or is the thinner stuff ok if more layers use?

thanks

Eyy Chris you get in there quick. :)

I was just gonna say he will need a 1/2" plug not a cap.

You never told me if you still had yer Mole skin and turn pin :eek:

Just noticed you mentioned a gas cock, is this so that the hob can be isolated seperately? This kinda thing?

p1087779_l.jpg

Is there much point given that it will be behind an integrated oven and thus not accessible anyway?

Also, why do you assume it's a plug needed rather than a cap? When the bayonet comes off, is it not possible there will be a male thread, in which case surely a cap would be needed...

Should have clarified, friend's not gonna have tools/parts with him when he comes, hence why I'm sourcing everything.

Thanks for your patience.

tomsavage said:
Also, why do you assume it's a plug needed rather than a cap? When the bayonet comes off, is it not possible there will be a male thread, in which case surely a cap would be needed...

We say that because that design of cooker bayonet only comes in male thread. Hence you will be left with a female end for a plug
Trust us!

pannierstan said:
tomsavage said:

Trust us!

Will do. :oops:

tomsavage said:
Should have clarified, friend's not gonna have tools/parts with him when he comes, hence why I'm sourcing everything.

Better add Hawk White and a manometer onto your list (and tools to give the rest of the installation a once over) but I'm not convinced your friend knows anything about gas otherwise he'd tell you what to get.

Thanks for the clarification.

I shall just get a bunch of fittings and take back what he doesn't use. The fittings I have bought so far screw onto the hob end no problem, and look like they are about right for the wall end (hard to tell until it's off). These fittings take 15mm copper.

Would be cheaper to get a registered installer in than to buy a bunch of fittings

Gasguru said:
Better add Hawk White and a manometer onto your list (and tools to give the rest of the installation a once over) but I'm not convinced your friend knows anything about gas otherwise he'd tell you what to get.

Already got some jointing compound, as for manometer, well ya got me there. I find it hard to believe the job is gonna require one, but I guess I'll just see when he arrives.

Not sure how you reach your conclusions about his competence. I'm sure if I spent half-hour on the phone trying to describe the job to him he would be able to tell me what to get before he visits. As it was I had a spare half-hour in my lunchbreak and thought I'd kick it around for some ideas here. Have always found this an incredibly helpful source of info.

sime10 said:
Would be cheaper to get a registered installer in than to buy a bunch of fittings

Not with Toolstation's wonderful refund policy :)

sime10 said:
as for manometer, well ya got me there

The most important piece of kit when doing gaswork

I don't doubt it! This is why I'm not doing the job :)

So if you were called out to replace a bayonet with a cap/plug, how would you use the manometer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back