Hob connection and other gas questions...

Trust me - he WILL need a manometer - and I won't be telling you how to use it - will this installation be notified? its a condition of registration.

Sponsored Links
Gasguru said:
Trust me - he WILL need a manometer - and I won't be telling you how to use it - will this installation be notified? its a condition of registration.

This is turning into one of "those" threads. Never thought I'd be the cause of one :) I guess gas is (rightly) a sensitive topic.

From what I've read elsewhere on the forum I understood a job of this nature to not require a full pressure testing of the system. Hence why I was asking how you would use a manometer for this job (I wasn't after a crash course in using one :)). Anyway, I stand corrected if such testing is needed. I have most of the tools needed for the job, but will ask my friend about the manometer.

When you ask about notifying the work, do you mean with the LABC (e.g., in the way Part P work is)? I didn't realise that installing a new gas hob (in place of an existing gas hob) was notifiable in any way. More info would be helpful.

However, nothing I say will convince anyone that a) I am not going to do the work myself, b) the "friend" is qualified/competent! So I guess I should just draw it to close now.

Thanks for the input from everyone, I think I've got a better idea of what the job entails.

However, nothing I say will convince anyone that a) I am not going to do the work myself, b) the "friend" is qualified/competent! So I guess I should just draw it to close now.

It is not about not trusting anyone doing gaswork its all about safety, If you came back in here nextweek and said your friend who is competent killed your family with a stupid mistake, you are going to say, They told me it was ok on DIYNOT

Safety is a bigger issue than advice

sime10 said:
It is not about not trusting anyone doing gaswork its all about safety, If you came back in here nextweek and said your friend who is competent killed your family with a stupid mistake, you are going to say, They told me it was ok on DIYNOT

Safety is a bigger issue than advice

Yes, fair point, and I do totally understand the reticence of qualified gas-fitters to dish out DIY advice! However, I'm not actually asking for specific instructions on doing a job, just on the kind of the parts that might be needed. I realise that faceless names on a forum should not be trusted implicitly about *anything*. This a judgement call regarding the competency of my friend, and I guess that is one I will have to make.

Sponsored Links
"I realise that faceless names on a forum should not be trusted implicitly about *anything*. "

On this forum advice will be given in the honest opinion of the registered person who gives you his opinion.
Do not take it as complete truth until you see the card that states the person is qualified to tell you his/her opinion.

It is for the safety of the persons asking questions that you may get non or sarcastic answers

Its not a group like the masons or anything like that its our thoughts and safety to some people who haven't got a clue.
AND BELIEVE ME SOME PEOPLE HAVE NOT GOT A CLUE.

Tom,

When you discuss the job with your friend and mention a manometer, if he says, 'A what'? Smile politely, tell him your sorry for wasting his time but you've decided to get a RGI.

whey a divit na man. a think its a meter thing t see how geordie ye are or sumit like that ye na ;)

"""Is there much point given that it will be behind an integrated oven and thus not accessible anyway?"""

Unfortunately saying that demonstrates your understandable lack of knowledge about gas safety.

The logic is that if there is a fault on a gas appliance then there must be an ACCESSABLE isolation valve to turn off the gas in an emergency !!!

If ANY work is done on gas pipework then its essential to do a test to check thats its not leaking!!! Thats what the manometer is for.

And yes, gas work is notifyable to Building control when ANY new aoppliance is fitted !!!

Tony

Tom before you work on any gas supply you have to test the installation for Gas Tightness.

Then when you have finished you have to check it again

It is a specific test for 4 minutes which every engineer will have drilled into him(or should have)

That is unless you have medium pressure at your meter supply in which case if it hasnt got a test valve will be 5 minutes.

Get my gist :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back