Home Birth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone or their wife/girlfriend given birth at home? What do you think of doing this? Were your other children allowed to be around? Any disadvantages/advantages?

Sponsored Links
Standard procedure in The Netherlands (older children 'dropped' by neighbours or granny).

Home births are more relaxed, more natural (more hygienic even), if, and this is a big if seemingly in the UK, midwives are a plenty

(ps no personal experience, only from friends, sisters-in-law, neighbours etc)

my wife and i agreed that it was best the first child was born in hospital. he was reluctant to emerge and had to be 'ventused' out! ended up with a cone shaped head.!!

we thought maybe the second, could be born at home. he decided to be late and had to be induced.

at hospital. :rolleyes:

it's a good job really 'cause he was born blue, with his oxygen cut off by his umbilical cord. the doctors were brill.

That points out the risks involved in having baby at home, if baby goes into distress and mum needed an emergency caesarian as happened with our second then it's a matter of minutes to get to the operating table.

Sponsored Links
we had a bad experiance at hospital thanks to a totally inept registrar, however the midwives were fantastic. the senior midwife kicked her out and had to call a crash caeserian as both my wife and daughter were in serious trouble. Im glad we werent at home, and the atercare was great as well. You can knock the NHS but there are some things that they do fantastically well

We've had all 3 of our boys at home. Best place if you don't have any signs of complications.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/you...objectid=18899549&siteid=89520-name_page.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/you...objectid=18899550&siteid=89520-name_page.html

noseall said:
my wife and i agreed that it was best the first child was born in hospital. he was reluctant to emerge and had to be 'ventused' out! ended up with a cone shaped head.!!

we thought maybe the second, could be born at home. he decided to be late and had to be induced.

it's a good job really 'cause he was born blue, with his oxygen cut off by his umbilical cord. the doctors were brill.

It is well known that with birth, one medical intervention will lead to another. So the baby is overdue: so what?

First was born at hospital after a too long labour at home...amusing (well we laugh at it now!) story of me directing the relief ambulance team to the hospital whilst the wife was swearing at them!

Second was born very quickly at home..the midwife arrived and ordered 'gas & air' from the hospital...a taxi brought it and it arrived - 10 mins after the birth!

Both times we hired a pool which was great (and brilliant for the first couple of weeks after the birth - usual hire length a month), although it was a bit weird effectively having a 'hot tub' in the living room!

I think the whole thing is down to the confidence of the woman, but from the birthing classes we attended there didn't seem to be too much encouragement to go down the home birth route - probably due to shortage of midwives!

Advantages: you can do your 'own thing', put on music, watch TV etc. 'One to one' midwife care. You remove the risk of hospital infection!

Disadvantages: you have to be prepared not to go down the 'epidural' route for pain relief, and also be prepared that you may have to go to hospital if there are any complications..

Interestingly (in our area anyway) maternity units in hospitals often get 'full', but if you start labour at home and then have to go to hospital, they have to admit you instead of being ferried around looking for an open unit at 'busy' times..

In the case of the second, our 2 yr old was upstairs during the actual birth, but was brought straight down for the 'cord cutting' - and said 'why can't I have a clean sister'... :LOL:

How easy for this Govn.
We have all read or worse, been involved, in situations regarding mental health 'care in the community', a success ???

Here we go again and we fall for it... Gullable to the very end.

...Mothers have made £2bn worth of claims for obstetric and gynaecology mistakes since 1995, and half of these payouts have been in the past five years. The NHS Litigation Authority last year said that problems in pregnancy and childbirth accounted for at least six of their 10 biggest claims for clinical negligence...

...Many in the medical professions, as well as health campaigners, are concerned that CEMACH's next report, released at the end of the year, will show a further rise in the number of maternal deaths. Patient groups are angry at what they believe are ministers delivering maternity services on the cheap...

Patricia Hewitt, the Secretary of State for Health, was warned against adopting the easy - and cheap - rhetoric of "demedicalising" childbirth. While it may be desirable to rely less on drugs in childbirth generally, we doubted that the NHS should become involved in promoting home births as preferable to those in hospital. In case of complications - and however "natural" childbirth may be it is also naturally dangerous - a hospital is likely to be a safer place to be than a home.

The obstacle, both to giving mothers a choice and to giving them the best possible standard of clinical care, is a shortage of qualified midwives. Among the myriad competing priorities for NHS funding, which will not grow so fast over the coming years, this is one that should be near the top of the list...

...The number of births has risen in recent years, while the number of midwives has remained unchanged. Whether or not there is any direct connection between these two statistics and the third, most troubling, one - the rise in the number of mothers dying in childbirth - it is apparent that priorities need to be adjusted...

Midwives should have and expected to be, at the top of the funding list .. so where did the dosh go? Well I for one know full well where it went, to those who already 'had' and for doing less WORK !!
At best their grades have been shuffled but overall not much has changed.

:(

The wife of friend of mine gave birth to thier first child in a primitive area in a third world country. ( long story as to why it happened there )

The way of life in the area meant that giving birth was just an interruption to the daily routine of working in the fields. It was just a part of normal life.

The villagers were worried that the English were making such a fuss about the birth.

For her second and third birth she was in the NHS and found all the anti-natal "training", fuss and attention only caused more stress and worry making her ( and him ) think more about what could go wrong than the joy of a new arrival.

Children were being born long before there was any medical knowledge and the human race survived. There are time when medical intervention is necessary but the natural un-fussed child birth does seem to work. Both our children were born in hospital but with the minimum of anti natal work ( my wife's decison ) and could have been home births if the NHS had not been insistant.

securespark said:
We've had all 3 of our boys at home. Best place if you don't have any signs of complications.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/you...objectid=18899549&siteid=89520-name_page.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/showbiz/you...objectid=18899550&siteid=89520-name_page.html

noseall said:

It is well known that with birth, one medical intervention will lead to another. So the baby is overdue: so what?

Too big for the birth canal ? Baby gets stuck, requires emergency caesar, if at home good chance of a dead child.

Certainly for a first birth, hospital is best, even subsequent home births are risky. How can you possbily tell if there will be complications ? To my mind its a bit like working on your electricity and saying oh well the RCD will cut the power if I touch anything live.

Sponsored Links
Back