Honda crv 07. remove bolt from snapped oil sensor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was attempting to remove faulty oil pressure sensor and it is snapped inside

I have now got thread inside the engine block and no idea how to get it out

Any suggestion?

Sponsored Links
Is the sensor leaking oil? If it isn’t then its no immediate panic!
If it is, these things usually have a drilling in the centre, and a ‘splined extractor’ is best at getting them out.
Hopefully access is good?
John :)

Is the sensor leaking oil? If it isn’t then its no immediate panic!
If it is, these things usually have a drilling in the centre, and a ‘splined extractor’ is best at getting them out.
Hopefully access is good?

There is an hole o the snapped bolt to insert the splied extractor but i`m worried that would snap as hole is very small. Shell I make a large hole first? Access is not easy unless I start taking out few pipe from the radiator. Do they have water inside?

Pressure sensors screw directly into the main oil gallery so if you pierce the thing you'll get an oil escape of some magnitude.
I'd get a quality splined extractor set and try to knock one in without doing any drilling at all....I think the thinnest are around 4mm.
Either way, you need good access straight on to the sensor so you may have to remove pipes and maybe the radiator itself which will, of course have coolant inside.
If there are no leaks and the vehicle is driveable, maybe some brain picking at a local good garage could help?

Sponsored Links
Pressure sensors screw directly into the main oil gallery so if you pierce the thing you'll get an oil escape of some magnitude.
I'd get a quality splined extractor set and try to knock one in without doing any drilling at all....I think the thinnest are around 4mm.
Either way, you need good access straight on to the sensor so you may have to remove pipes and maybe the radiator itself which will, of course have coolant inside.
If there are no leaks and the vehicle is driveable, maybe some brain picking at a local good garage could help?

Oil came out when sensor come down. I guess with engine on oil will splash from the hole.

That sort of tool could work well, Irwin also do a type with a left handed tapered spline. My own are made by Sykes Pickavant and they are parallel shank with a sharp spline that cuts its way down a drilling.
I guess you have little choice but to get stuck in now or get the car trailered away so I’ll wish you all the very best for it - theoretically at least the sensors were never screwed in really tight.

That sort of tool could work well, Irwin also do a type with a left handed tapered spline. My own are made by Sykes Pickavant and they are parallel shank with a sharp spline that cuts its way down a drilling.
I guess you have little choice but to get stuck in now or get the car trailered away so I’ll wish you all the very best for it - theoretically at least the sensors were never screwed in really tight.

If was not screwed really tight why has snapped instead of screwing up?

Who knows.....maybe the spanner wasn’t on square (a socket is always best) but the fact that they are hollow means they are always going to be weak.

My ones are something like these. Snap-On I think - I've had them years and they work well. Never had one break on me.

upload_2021-11-17_22-52-5.jpeg

I'd advise against drilling the hole bigger - the last thing you want is to get any swarf in the main oil gallery.

Who knows.....maybe the spanner wasn’t on square (a socket is always best) but the fact that they are hollow means they are always going to be weak.

I used a deep socket but still snapped :) alloy maybe too weak

My ones are something like these. Snap-On I think - I've had them years and they work well. Never had one break on me.

View attachment 251054

I'd advise against drilling the hole bigger - the last thing you want is to get any swarf in the main oil gallery.

I`m waiting for these one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AIJ0VDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But if you guess that are too long and can snap ca try to get the short one like yours. Do you have any link where can get them?

Also would be good or bad trying to heat the area with heat gun before attempt to unscrew?

I`m waiting for these one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AIJ0VDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But if you guess that are too long and can snap ca try to get the short one like yours. Do you have any link where can get them?

Also would be good or bad trying to heat the area with heat gun before attempt to unscrew?
I don't think that heating the area would have any effect as you have the mass of the engine block to absorb the heat.

Those ones in the link should work but another method I've used in the past (which is similar to those) is to remove the handle from a suitably sized file and tap the tang into the drilled hole until it bites then turn the file to remove the broken section.

Like this. https://www.brilliantdiy.com/extract-broken-bolt-without-extractor/2/

Those ones in the link should work but another method I've used in the past (which is similar to those) is to remove the handle from a suitably sized file and tap the tang into the drilled hole until it bites then turn the file to remove the broken section.

Don't knock it in harder than is necessary, because if you do it will expand the alloy and make it even more jammed.

Don't knock it in harder than is necessary, because if you do it will expand the alloy and make it even more jammed.
That will happen whatever type of extractor you use. The ones I use just get tighter the harder you turn them.

Sponsored Links
Back