Honda crv 07. remove bolt from snapped oil sensor

Try to use a pencil flame and on just the stub of the switch. Oil is flammable, but not that flammable unless vaporised. Keep a hosepipe or extinguisher to hand though, just in case.

Last such switch I looked at, had a thin metal threaded 'shell', with a thick hard plastic tubular centre leading to the bulbous diaphragm pressure switch. If yours is like that, could bust the plastic out, then try to fold the metal shell into the centre to release it?

You mean something like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/QIANGUANG®...1682&sprefix=pencil+blow,aps,166&sr=8-13&th=1

Sponsored Links
I had in mind something a bit bigger than that, a Rothenburger with map gas, but likely that might do it - depending on the burn time it can manage.

Look nice but £120 For a single job seem too much. What about blow torch used for soldering like the plumbers ones?

Look nice but £120 For a single job seem too much. What about blow torch used for soldering like the plumbers ones?

Many seem to use the Rothenburg these days, but the older blow-lamps had a much too wide flame. I have a couple of Rothenburgs, in my workshop - expensive yes, but good.

Sponsored Links
Many seem to use the Rothenburg these days, but the older blow-lamps had a much too wide flame. I have a couple of Rothenburgs, in my workshop - expensive yes, but good.

Make sense, I need something accurate e very thin flame. Will try to search for a midway price wise torch. Any suggestion welcomed

Make sense, I need something accurate e very thin flame. Will try to search for a midway price wise torch. Any suggestion welcomed

Excuse me, but what do you expect , how much better can anyone explain it to you? You need a fairly hot, narrow flame, to as near as possible limit the heating up the object you are struggling to remove, so that expands more than its surrounding - the mass of metal into which it is screwed. The expansion will loosen it.

Too large a flame, will heat up both the stub of the switch and the engine block, not nearly as hot and not be as nearly effective.

Excuse me, but what do you expect , how much better can anyone explain it to you? You need a fairly hot, narrow flame, to as near as possible limit the heating up the object you are struggling to remove, so that expands more than its surrounding - the mass of metal into which it is screwed. The expansion will loosen it.

Too large a flame, will heat up both the stub of the switch and the engine block, not nearly as hot and not be as nearly effective.

Got your point mate. I'm looking to get one ordered.

I guess you are talking about this one
https://www.lbsbmonline.co.uk/trigg...dL-KqDMzR6Lk4GbdGlNbcPE2wiNLNjyxoC6fIQAvD_BwE

You could try freezer spray first to break the thread seal...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-products-crack-it-shock-release-spray-400ml/83415

Isn't all Snap-on gear the Apple of car tools...fan boys paying over the odds for average tools :)

Ordered the freeze spray as seems less dangerous than using flame due of electric cable in the area. How would you use it?

I read on the comments people spraying for about 30 second. Correct me if wrong what I`planning to do. Spray the stuck bolt ( the engine block will get freeze too due of the small size) for 30 second and then push in the extractor and have a go? Do you leave any time between spray and pushing or need to be quick otherwise freeze will go away?

You're trying to break the "seal" between the thread on the sensor and the threads in the block using differential expansion.
I'd be inclined to heat the sensor and block around it with a heat gun to a reasonable temperature, then immediately use the freezer spray just on the sensor to shrink it.
I'm sure a whack with a chisel could do wonders.
Engineering judgement required.

I read on the comments people spraying for about 30 second. Correct me if wrong what I`planning to do. Spray the stuck bolt ( the engine block will get freeze too due of the small size) for 30 second and then push in the extractor and have a go? Do you leave any time between spray and pushing or need to be quick otherwise freeze will go away?

To fit the flanged tyre, onto a railway engine wheel, they heat up the tyre and cool the wheel. Once in place and they adjust to a similar temperature, the only way to get the tyre of is to cut them off with an oxy torch. The hotter you can get the block, the cooler you can get the switch, the looser it will become.

I bit of ply with a hole drilled in it, will shield the block from the freezer spray. A bit of tissue pushed in the switch, will help draw the freezer spray in and retain it in the switch.Best have everything ready to hand, before starting, time is critical.

After spraying the switch it might be worth also spraying the file tang, so that the tang doesn't warm the switch back up, then banging it in, to turn it quickly.

Last edited:
To fit the flanged tyre, onto a railway engine wheel, the heat up the tyre and cool the wheel. Once in place and they adjust to a similar temperature, the only way to get the tyre of is to cut them off with an oxy torch. The hotter you can get the block, the cooler you can get the switch, the looser it will become.

I bit of ply with a hole drilled in it, will shield the block from the freezer spray. A bit of tissue pushed in the switch, will help draw the freezer spray in and retain it in the switch.Best have everything ready to hand, before starting, time is critical.

After spraying the switch it might be worth also spraying the file tang, so that the tang doesn't warm the switch back up, then banging it in, to turn it quickly.

Thanks for the ply advise. nice trick. Will try to heat engine block first, then ply in front of it and freeze the stuck bolt only. Just trying to have everything ready and only thing missing is a decent extractor bit. Snap on will not have them in stock before Christmas or new year, bacho out of stock too and couldn`t find any Halford advanced ones. Irwin is on a 2 week delivery from US. What`s going on here. Seem like there is no Spline Extractor at moment. Once everything is ready will attempt again but tools are holding me out

ebay? What size do you need? Or maybe find a distributor near you? https://www.snapon.co.uk/find-a-franchisee/

Yeah, Spoke with snap on distributor near me and seems like few other people are waiting for those to arrive but there is no certain date and could be easily after Christmas. Web site also say in arrival on the 29.11 but this could be arrival in the USA as distributor said but for sure not in the UK by next week.

Sponsored Links
Back