Honda mower seized up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Honda hr1950 mower started squeaking then suddenly degenerated as if something has seized or the safety brake has come on when the engine is still at full revs. It stopped the engine whilst in hare mode.

Sponsored Links
I checked it just before I started. It was OK then. I am away from the mower now so can't check it yet. It does feel like a seized engine.

Seizures on these engines are very uncommon if the oil level is maintained. If you are happy with that:
Tip the machine back on its handles (plug cap removed) and look for anything jamming or otherwise interfering with the blade's rotation before delving deeper!
Most piston seizures are temporary, although some damage will be done but let's rule out other possibilities first!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Nothing jamming the rotor. Engine has cooled down but still seized. Guess it is a new engine or mower. Thanks for your help.

Cable hasn't broken that operates the flywheel brake has it? as John says its unusual for a siezure with correct oil level....is the air filter still present, although 2T are more affected by lack of one

I can see the cable end move when the 'engage rotor' lever is moved. The rotor frees up to rotate about 180 degrees before it meets resistance - presumably the clutch mechanism. The starter pull is solid. Air filter and spark plug were renewed during its winter service, along with the oil. It has been used for several times since.

The machine hasn’t lost its oil somehow, has it?
I think its worth removing the recoil housing so you are down to the bare flywheel and checking from there.....if its solid a rebuild isnt economical.

Seizures on these engines are very uncommon if the oil level is maintained.
Even if it's not !!! My neighbour asked for a hand to change the oil on his c.30 year old Honda ( £5 from the tip 3 years ago ! ) it had about an egg cup full in it yet still ran :eek:

Aye, Ive heard of clowns trying to wreck a Honda 50 engine and failing......draining the oil out and all that.
Ive come across a few engines that have literally burst due to no oil.....snapped con rods and camshaft etc.
One owner denied it of course, and poured fresh lube in after the failure to cover his tracks :mrgreen:

Haven't had to do one for a number of years but when the roto stop bearing goes on Honda Pro it makes a hellish noise and slows the engine but for the life of me cant remember if it grinds to a halt?

Ive done quite a few bearings on the roto stop system, and you’re right they make a racket!
I cant see it interfering with the engine itself though but to be honest I haven’t considered it.
I’m not familiar with this machine though.....initially I thought it would be one of the older side valves but a Google image shows otherwise.

Im trying to remember if the bearing that idles the CS inside the hub where the cable return spring are stationary, and if so would hold the engine back if seized?? Ive got 3 hrh536’s here so may have to go and satisfy my curiosity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back