Honda mower seized up

I would say it stops the engine if seized, bearing in yellow. red static hub with cable return springs
82677177-DB9F-4F28-8A93-59D10B977647.jpeg 3325CD27-0546-4584-8D1A-7089D43D67C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You may well be right (y)
Ive never had one lock up so its new to me! Well researched.
John :)
Actually no research needed John , Ive serviced and repaired a fleet of Hrh536 since around 1999 and have a couple myself but memory aint what it once was.
Edit: mind you, theres nothing to say that its the cause of the lock up but cheaper than a new engine if it is.

Last edited:
I’ve done a few, but apart from the bearing I can’t recall ever needing new parts in there.
Lets see if we get a post back.

Sponsored Links
I only see this machine a couple of times a week. I removed the recoil unit and the spark plug and was able to rotate the engine with a spanner on the crankshaft nut. No sign of metal filings in the oil. reassembled and the motor started but after a few seconds ground to a halt again. This time I noticed that the rear roller wouldn't turn, so could it possibly be the clutch and final drive that is the problem. (I should have said this is the QX model with a roller instead of wheels at the back).

Presumably this machine has a belt drive to the transmission, rather than the shaft type?
If so, take the belt off and try again......although I think it's unlikely that a belt drive would actually stall the engine - more often they burn.

I believe this is a shaft-drive. It has a strange clutch. After pushing up the drive lever you have to push the machine forward before it will engage and power the roller. So with the drive lever down the roller should be free whether or not the engine is running. I can't see how you get in to the clutch mechanism to investigate.

I believe this is a shaft-drive. It has a strange clutch. After pushing up the drive lever you have to push the machine forward before it will engage and power the roller. So with the drive lever down the roller should be free whether or not the engine is running. I can't see how you get in to the clutch mechanism to investigate.
Your doing it the wrong way and a way that damages the clutch.
The clutch is a dog clutch inside the gearbox so you should be pushing the mower forward as you engage the clutch lever.

Last edited:
OK, so I have probably knackered the clutch, but the question is - how do I get access to the clutch. Is it by removing the rear roller, or do I try from behind the engine?

Jeez. That's as much as a new engine! This machine is 26 years old, so time for a new one! Thanks for all the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back