Hoover 1200 AL 120

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Model: Hoover 1200 AL 120

Everything okay apart from when on fast spin (drying mode), there's is a loud drum banging noise (continuous thumping noise). Any idea ?

Sponsored Links
one of 2 things:

1) a coin trapped between inner and outer drums
I used to get them out by tipping m/c towards pump outlet (with pump removed)

2) it could also be loose "counterweight"

Thanks Breezer, doesn't sound like a coin noise but having said that, it may sound difference if it is !

Is the counterweight on the top of the machine like a brick ? need a new spring maybe ? or the counterweight need tighten up ?

masona said:
Thanks Breezer, doesn't sound like a coin noise but having said that, it may sound difference if it is !

they never do sound like coins (once found a knife inside)

masona said:
Is the counterweight on the top of the machine like a brick ?

see mine its here
there is usually one at the bottom too (no pic yet)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer, shall have a look when I'm feeling better (not allow to lift anything at the moment) :cry:

Well done Breezer, I've found the bolt snapped off on the bottom counterweight.

Please don't tell me I got to take the drum out from the top :cry: because I can't see any way round it unless I cut a square inspection hole on the front panel to get at the bolts which my wife won't let me do :!: :LOL:
Is there another way :?:

we always used to take the drum out through the front (obviously remove front panel first)

the hp wm you could change the bottom weight bolts from under the m/ c not easy but quicker than taking it apart.
thing is though i have only seen the bolts sanap a few times, when it did happen we were not called for a while, and the vibrating weight had "vibrated" the mountings away, end result, new outer tub

breezer said:
we always used to take the drum out through the front (obviously remove front panel first)
Can't do it :cry: the front panel is spot welded and can't do it underneath because the bottom counterweight is about 50mm from facing the front panel and the bolt is 75mm long. I also need to drill the remaining bolt what left in the hole

well if the front doesnt come off the back should.

but as you know i can only speak for hp m/c :cry:

Damn :!: I only have a small inspection panel at the back so look like I going to have move the drum from the top :cry:

masona said:
Damn :!: I only have a small inspection panel at the back so look like I going to have move the drum from the top :cry:

i am not looking at it, you are, but are you sure either the front or back doesnt come off?

you will need a car engine lifting gear to lift the drum strait up and out the cabinet.

have you taken the top off (m/c not you) that is how you open a h/p, top, then front panel, then front

Shall have another look just to make sure I haven't missed anything.

The front panel is spot welded all the way down and the only way I can see is to remove the drum from the top, oh well a major operation :cry:

i dont diss believe you, but what if it goes wrong, they can not expect a service engieer to lift it all out, and being "economical" as most manufacturers are that would mean ,making all the wires long enough for it to come out, perhaps the side or back comes off. any chance of a pic with lid removed?

Probably cheap made by robot machine ?? I get a feeling the manufacter don't want you repair it, so buy another one instead maybe ? If it wasn't for me repairing it, I should think it would be a write off.
Will try a take picture later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back