Hot tap issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All I have a hot tap on a hand basin in our down stairs loo with a problem .For a while its been a bugger to turn off (theyre the smooth plastic types that are difficult to grip with wet hands and you always had to give it an extra twist) .Anyhow just before we went on hols I tightened it down to make sure it wouldnt be dripping while we were away .Come back off hols and although the tap opens its not working properly .if the tap is opened slowly nothing comes out .if you turn it on sharply you sometimes get a short burst of water and then other times it will turn on and run for about 30 seconds or so and the petre out . Is it airlocked if so all the suggestions ive had for clearing them wont work on theses taps as its impossible to put a hose over the ends and flush it with the cold or could it be the tap valve thats faulty ?

Sponsored Links
If you have had to start giving it an extra twist to stop the dripping then it's usually the washer that's worn and the washer/jumper will be getting jammed because the valve thread/worm is getting overextended. Time to replace the washer & service the tap - use tap revivers - or replace the taps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Madrab I have got a tap refresher kit in the garage from a previous replacement so I will give it a go
Hard Work they were what came with the hose as anew build in 94 and as it was probabaly one of the last houses not to have isolation valves fitted its always seemed a ballache to change the taps but you may be right in the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back