Hot water from cylinder not hot

aha!

I think you may have a "Tapstat" which is a thing looking rather like a thermostatic radiator valve, and is used to control the flow in a Gravity system.

The wire from that copper tube might look silvery braided, bit like curtain wire, and is in fact a fine capillary tube, not an electrical wire. It must not be cut or kinked and should connect to the valve, which should have numbers on it. You might find that the cylinder heats up faster when the radiators are off.

Show us a pic of the valve please.

Sponsored Links
"""I think you may have a "Tapstat" which is a thing looking rather like a thermostatic radiator valve, and is used to control the flow in a Gravity system."""

thats it!!
you need pick? valve is on max
is it worth shutting down a couple of rads to see if water gets any hotter?

turn off the room stat. the final temperature will not get hotter, but it will warm up faster

You have got a room stat, haven't you?

nope no room stat :(
i bought "the house that jack built" lol :evil:
all rads have thermostatic radiator valves tho

Sponsored Links
please take photos of all the wires you can see around the boiler and cylinder, and where they go. Also the timer, pump and any motorised valves. Does the timer have a heating and a hot water position?

if you do not have adequate controls, you will be wasting a lot of money on inefficient usage.

start asking friends and neighbours if they know a local heating engineer they recommend. Do not make any committment at this point though as some you hear of will turn out to be not as good as others.

have loaded a couple more pics on my profile of heating controls and pump
both are located downstairs
there are no visible wires around the cylinder
cant get to the boiler itself as its backboiler

on the programmer, you appear to have both CH and HW set to "auto" not timed

I would guess that this means they are under the control of the thermostats, however you do not seem to have any so the boiler probably runs 24 hours and wastes money. Set the CH to "Off" and the HW to "On" and see how quickly the cylinder heats up.

If there are going to be people at home all day, then probably "all day" is the better setting. If you set HW to "on" then it will be heated night and day, so you should have plenty of hot water, but it will not be economical.

I think you need to get a Room Stat and a Cylinder Stat fitted.

Start asking around for a local heating engineer.

auto is the timed setting
at the moment it is set so it comes on at 4pm and goes off at 9pm daily (both heating and water)
i am goin to set the timer for water only for a couple of hours overnight so it turns off just before i wake, will see if the temp is any better then.

thanks for all the help so far
it really is appreciated
wayne

woke up this morn and had a full tank of lovely hot water
maybe i didn't need a plumber just an exorcist lol ... know and good vicars?? pmsl
will see how it copes with heating and water later in day and keep you posted
thanks again for all the help advice
really is appreciated

cheers
wayne

you still need a room stat and a proper cylinder stat

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back