Hot water going greeny/brown but house is only 5yrs old

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
My hot water is going greeny brown and cloudy but the house is only 5 years old (built by Wimpey, 4 bed detached). I noticed some black flecks as well as if something is breaking down or perishing somewhere. Any ideas? Plumbing is not my forte but I think it is an "unvented hot water system". The cold water is crystal clear and I haven't had to top the hot water up and increase the pressure up for about 6 months as its pretty constant. Is any problem likely to be covered under the NHBC?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
since what you have described could have serious health implications you would be well advised to take action quickly. nhbc will tell you anything to avoid addressing a claim, but persist.

Eeeeeeek! That sounds ominous. Thanks for the reply, I shall get onto them ASAP. I guess no one knows what it could be though?

I have just filled the bath up and the water is ever so slightly green and the bits are actually tiny green flecks. It says on the hot water tank its a Range Tribune Duplex Stainless Steel. As its Stainless can I rule this out as being the cause? I am thinking there is a copper joint somewhere that is weeping crud....

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't like to guess, but if the cold supply is clear it must be a problem from the boiler onwards. good news is - no pressure drop!

The little green bits you talk about could be bits of scale, especially if your cylinder is heated by immersion and not indirectly by a boiler. :)

Has the HW system been drained recently. Sounds like the muck that settles to the bottom of the cylinder could have been stirred up.

It wouldn't do any harm to drain and refill a few times to flush it through.it

NHBC deals with structural claims not heating,you need a qualified heating engineer with G3 qualifications ,somone who maybe local to you and comes highly recommended to fullly diagnose the system

It may just need a thorough flush through to cleanse everything out

Hi,

I have seen this problem when a hot water circulation is installed through the towel rails but the installer did not install a rust free towel rail, hence after a few years the radiators start to rust from the inside.
So you only get the rusted water on the hot water side but the cold.

Lolli

Thanks for all the replies guys. It hasn't been drained recently, in fact no work has even been done since we moved into the house which was new 5 years ago. I am assuming the water is heated by the gas boiler (like the central heating) and only stored in the tank so any electric element would not be used (because we have never overridden it). Is it as easy job to drain and flush and is there a standard procedure? The little flecks are an emerald green. I have noticed under the kitchen sink by the main riser some of the copper joints have turned a bit green so that's why I thought one of the joints on the tank might have done the same inside.

Thanks,

Green bits are usually from flux and the brown water from the sediment (sand mainly) that settles in the bottom of every hot water cylinder. That is what makes me think the water may have been stirred up a bit. If you can, best get a local plumber out to have a look.
Can't see the builder or NHBC having much interest after 5 years.
Brown water sometimes caused by ****ed off joiners dropping nails down pipes but that shows after a week or 2.

Cheers, I think I am going to get someone out as you suggest. It was misleading of me to say brown without getting a second opinion from the missus as I am colour blind!!! It is only really the copper green colour.

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back