Hot water only but have changed the 3 way valve & contro

Sponsored Links
When you checked for voltage at room stat was heating turned on at programmer?

Hi,

Yes when checking the V on the thermostat the heating only is on at the programmer and I get 000 (just checked again)

Sponsored Links
The programmer delivers 240v from the CH ON terminal.
So there should be 204v going into the room stat.
If room stat turned up there should be 240v leaving room stat.
Therefore there should be 240v on the 'white' wire to make valve move.
With room stat turned down voltage on white should be 0v.

If you have not got the 240v on the 'white' have you got 240v leaving the room stat.
If yes then, remember the wire from stat will go to the terminal holding the white, so could be poor connection or in wrong terminal.

If you have not got 240v leaving room stat,have you got 240v going into room stat. If you have then room stat faulty. If you have not, then problem is between room stat and programmer.(possibly in the terminal box).
When satisfied voltage on white is correct, problem is further forward and would most likely be a faulty motor

OK just checked and odd result:

With everything off at programmer if I press CH on, wait, water on, wait, water off I get on the Thermostat:

Turned up = 232V
Turned down = 232V

Thinking this was odd I turned everything off on the programmer and then turned on CH only and on the Thermostat:

Turned up = 0V
Turned down = 0V

I also tried Water on, wait, CH on, wait, water off I get on the Thermostat:

Turned up = 232V
Turned down = 232V

I also tried Water only on the programmer I get on the Thermostat:

Turned up = 23V
Turned down = 5V

I have repeated this a few times with the same results each time.

At last a partly good update!

I swapped out the programmer and now I get the following results every time I test:

At the programmer CH only on the thermostat I get 240V So this is different to the older programmer. I then checked the White and Blue at the wiring box and with the thermostat high I get 240V with it low I get 0V. So far so good.

However :(

The valve only moves from Water to the Mid position when the CH only is selected on the programmer and not all the way to heating only. The pump is not running and the boiler reports S.30 'No heating demand from external controls (clamps 3-4 open)'.

You'll need HW on at prog 'and' cyl stat satisfied to move valve to heating only because there is nothing connected to the HW off connection in prog.

Hi.

Firstly thank you everyone for your help and advise so far.

Sorry I am not really following the last post. Could so some please explain with a little more detail and any testing I can do?

I have checked and there is a Cylinder Stat a ACL HTS 2 and it is set to 65c.

For a Y plan to work properly the valve needs to know when the HW is turned off. So power is supplied from the HW off (no1) in prog to the grey valve wire, there will be another wire connected to this, from the satisfied terminal at cyl stat.

Agree something not right.
Best to forget HW for time being, just concentrate on CH only.
You will need to trace wires and check connections from programmer to 'white' wire.
programmer to terminal box.
terminal box to room stat input side. (usually red)
room stat output side to terminal box containing 'white' (usually yellow)

Thanks for the additional detail.

From the Cyl Stat there is a yellow wire that is connected to the Valve grey.

Do I need to let the hot water cool down till is moves to heating only?

Right you're half way there.
The white wire provides the power to get the valve to mid position.
This power to the motor is cut off at mid point and it then receives power from the valves grey wire, which is supposed to be live but in your case it is not because there is a wire missing.
Should be wire from programmers HW OFF terminal to the terminal containing the grey

Thanks for the additional detail.

From the Cyl Stat there is a yellow wire that is connected to the Valve grey.

Do I need to let the hot water cool down till is moves to heating only?
No, thwater temp needs to be higher than the cyl stat setting, this would then send power down the yellow to the grey on valve, HW needs to be set to on at prog for this to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back