Hot water only but have changed the 3 way valve & contro

Sponsored Links
Whilst CH only at programmer, room thermostat is high and the valve has moved to mid position I get the following:

Valve White to Valve Blue = 235V
&
Valve Grey to Valve Blue = 68V

The yellow from the cyinder stat to the grey does the same job under different circumstances.
When HW becomes satisfied, power from programmer HW ON gets diverted to the grey.
But this only works when HW is ON and has been satisfied.
If HW is not on, there is no power to divert.
So try HW and CH together

Whilst CH only at programmer, room thermostat is high and the valve has moved to mid position I get the following:

&
As expected. What happens If you turn HW on at prog (leave heating on)
Are the 2 circled connections either end of the same wire?

Sponsored Links
Before I try, the boiler also lets me set temp for the Rads and the water, what should I have these set to if it might make a difference?

Also some info as just checked so might be useful. On the valve grey wire there is also the programmers right hand side Earth wire and the yellow from the Cyl stat.

Move the green and yellow, at prog to no1, you should tag it with a brown sleeve - its not ideal but will work (if all else is correct)

&
As expected. What happens If you turn HW on at prog (leave heating on)
Are the 2 circled connections either end of the same wire?

With CH only on at Prog the valve moves to the mid position and nothing else, when I press water the pump starts and I hear the boiler start up.

Yes I have circled with the same colours the different ends of each wire from the prog box to the wiring box

The yellow from the cyinder stat to the grey does the same job under different circumstances.
When HW becomes satisfied, power from programmer HW ON gets diverted to the grey.
But this only works when HW is ON and has been satisfied.
If HW is not on, there is no power to divert.
So try HW and CH together

With CH only on at Prog the valve moves to the mid position and nothing else, when I press water the pump starts and I hear the boiler start up.

Now turn down the cyl stat, till it clicks, report findings

Do you have hot water?

I do have hot water

...but this might not a fair result as I have had the water on today to keep the house warm when the other programmer was broken and I previously manually set the valve to mid position and locked.

Move the green and yellow, at prog to no1, you should tag it with a brown sleeve - its not ideal but will work (if all else is correct)

Is this what you are suggesting?

View media item 69509
Should I try this now as a test or after the current tests I am trying?
No, that's the wiring centre, I meant the g/y that is, at the moment, connected to the earth connection at the programmer.

Is this what you are suggesting?

View media item 69509
Should I try this now as a test or after the current tests I am trying?
No, that's the wiring centre, I meant the g/y that is, at the moment, connected to the earth connection at the programmer.

Ah, sorry understand now :S

So like this:

View media item 69510

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back